Split in 6X6 Pergola Post

I just finished building a pergola using 6x6 posts. There are six 6x6 posts, which support six 2x8 beams,which support ten 2x6 rafters. On top of the rafters are 100 2x2's.
I noticed when I bought the posts that they had some minor splits, which I figured were normal. Now that all of the wood is assembled on top of the posts, the split on one of the posts has opened to 1/4" wide x 40" long. It doesn't go completely through the wood. It's about 2 inches deep.
Should this post be replaced or is it OK to bear the weight?
It should be fine.
Rob

Wow, 6x6 posts! I'm surprised you didn't use 6x whatever beams. Guess you've got a lot of exposed endgrain! The posts are more than enough to support the load, but you might want to seal that endgrain somehow. Copper? End grain sealer? Tom >(Dennis) wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses. It was my first woodworking project. I feel better about it now.