Spinning the BIG BITS

Just bought myself the Porter Cable 3.25hp (7518) BEAST.
I always felt limited before with my cheapo crapsman router. Now I can spin the big bits. I would like to be able to spin some of thise wide diameter raised panel bits. The guy at Rockler talked me into the aluminum base plate for the router, but the max opening is only 2.25". Some raised panel bits are over 3" in diameter. Do they sell base plates that will hold the porter cable beast with a wide opening to accomodate wide raised panel bits?
Thanks
what a router!!!The best IMHO. Good Luck! Mike

Stoutman -- I have the smae router and I use it in a PRL -- with the big bits go without a ring -- the whole is big enough at that point. Remember to slow the rotation rate of the router on the big bit -- have fun

table. I bought a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate and cut out my own plates. For my honking 3-1/4" raised panel bit I cut the hole with a holesaw. I have two plates with about $20 plus some shop time invested. Greg

It does not answer the question, but is a very cost effective alternative to store bought.
If you don't have the means to do the machining, you can buy Benchdog with larger holes and it will leave a larger hole in your wallet.
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1109645989_28522+812
The PC 7518 router can handle bits up to 3.5" diameter. You may need to remove the sub base portion. Decent router table inserts usually have removable rings to accommodate larger bits. Large bits can be very dangerous if used improperly. Read the manual, pay attention to correct rpm, and work safely.

Don't run that big bit over 10,000rpm!

Damn, talk about a let down... even rereading it several times, I coulda swore that second B was a T.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Glad it wasn't just me! Must be something in the water in Oregon.
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:05:15 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Well, it's a problem with Florida's water, too, then.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
stoutman Wrote:

panel bits? To
-- tomeshew
I agree with Owen. Here I thought something OT that I might enjoy. (sigh) Larry