species showcase bartop?

I am considering making a bartop out of numerous shorts of native and exotic woods. I thought it'd be a great look and a way to incorporate my interests. I'm wondering, though, what kinds of problems I could expect since I've yet to compile a list of woods and it's going to include a lot of woods I've never worked with. Should I look for certain characteristics to stay away from or gravitate towards? What about the joinery involved to mesh the different types. How about a good retailer for buying the selection from? I was also hoping to come up with a classy way to mark each piece with the name. I'm not sure I want a whole bunch of little plaques, but I don't trust my woodburning handwriting skills. I'm sure I'd make a mess. Obviously I'm still in the planning stages so I'm hoping we can figure something out to make this work. Thanks for any help! Mark