Speaking of Minwax Tung Oil Finish

I making and end table and wonder if a Minwax Tung Oil Finish of 3 to 5 coats will give me a waterproof finish that will also be hard enough to protect the top from minor dings?
If this will not get the desired finish, what do y'all recommend besides poly?
Dawg

I really don't know of any finish that will protect against minor dings. The best ones are typically only good for protection against minor scratches into the wood.
Cooniedog wrote:

look at the various offerings. This stuff is used for bar tops, floors, boats, etc. so it probably next best to armor plating.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Water based poly is about the toughest stuff well still being easy and cheap

Water based poly is about the toughest stuff well still being easy and cheap

There are a myriad of finishes that will offer good abrasion and water protection for your project, but you'll be hard pressed to find one to prevent physical damage such as dings.
The Minwax tung oil finish will not provide a waterproof finish - Although it should offer good resistance to water damage, provided you clean the spill when it happens. Although I would recommend that you double the amount of coats of finish on the top of the table. Wipe on finishes have little to no build, and table tops need a little extra help.
--
Gregory Paolini Design
www.GregoryPaolini.com