souvenir spoon holder question

I'm trying to make a spoon holder rack and I can't figure out an easy way of putting in the slots. They seem to be "T" shaped, about 1/4" wide at the throat and 1/2 wide at the top, with the top slot about 3/16" deep. Has anyone made one of these, and how did you construct the holding slot for the spoon?

Thanks

Reply to
Dick Miale

Howdy......my suggestion is a router bit......lock in the board that you'll be routing in a clamp/jig and slide it in.....

Reply to
bremen68

I just got a t-slot cutter for my new router table. It is approximately the dimensions you mention. Seems too small to hold a spoon, but maybe souvenir spoons are small?

Reply to
Toller

Funny you should mention that. I was browsing Rockler's website and the 1/2 T-Slot bit will probably work. The depth of the T is only about 1/8", but their T depth is 3/16 which is close enough. Thanks for your suggestion

Reply to
Dick Miale

You can make it deeper by running it twice at different setting. The only problem would be if it were too big; you can always make too small okay.

Reply to
Toller

Most of the spoons should fit with a t-slot bit, but they will certainly fit if you're willing to double-cut using a core box bit, gluing a molding up front, and slotting it. At least the ones I've made will.

Reply to
George

A keyhole bit worked for me.

Reply to
David Sizemore

The ones i've seen were cut out with a jig (scroll) saw.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I built one myself early this summer for a customer.

This is the key hole/ hanging slot router bit I used and it worked pretty well for me

'd also recommend clamping a piece of scrap board to the outfeed side to minimize tear-out.

BTW, the one I built would hold about 60 spoons, 4 rows of 15. I varied the spacing between rows from 4 - 5.5" I believe, since the collectable spoons also vary in size.

Ron

Reply to
Ron