souvenir spoon holder question

I'm trying to make a spoon holder rack and I can't figure out an easy way of putting in the slots. They seem to be "T" shaped, about 1/4" wide at the throat and 1/2 wide at the top, with the top slot about 3/16" deep. Has anyone made one of these, and how did you construct the holding slot for the spoon?
Thanks
Dick Miale wrote:

Howdy......my suggestion is a router bit......lock in the board that you'll be routing in a clamp/jig and slide it in.....
I just got a t-slot cutter for my new router table. It is approximately the dimensions you mention. Seems too small to hold a spoon, but maybe souvenir spoons are small?
Funny you should mention that. I was browsing Rockler's website and the 1/2 T-Slot bit will probably work. The depth of the T is only about 1/8", but their T depth is 3/16 which is close enough. Thanks for your suggestion

You can make it deeper by running it twice at different setting. The only problem would be if it were too big; you can always make too small okay.

Most of the spoons should fit with a t-slot bit, but they will certainly fit if you're willing to double-cut using a core box bit, gluing a molding up front, and slotting it. At least the ones I've made will.
A keyhole bit worked for me.
Dick Miale wrote:

The ones i've seen were cut out with a jig (scroll) saw.
Fred

of
the
I built one myself early this summer for a customer.
This is the key hole/ hanging slot router bit I used and it worked pretty well for me http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id !39
I'd also recommend clamping a piece of scrap board to the outfeed side to minimize tear-out.
BTW, the one I built would hold about 60 spoons, 4 rows of 15. I varied the spacing between rows from 4 - 5.5" I believe, since the collectable spoons also vary in size.
Ron