Source for FireStorm batteries in Canuckistan?

Page 2 of 2
You are right: I forgot about the UPS fees and taxes. What happened to free trade?
All right then, I will find a local rebuilder. Again, any suggestions other than Magnacharge?
Whew, I almost crossed over to the dark side!
Michael
Bill Stock wrote:

Yup. It's called opening the Yellow Pages and looking under batteries.
Gee, thanks for that tidbit, I never would have guessed. What I am REALLY looking for is a reputable rebuilder whose service has been used and the user is happy with the product; that cannot be found in the Yellow pages.
That said, I will try Magnacharge per your recommendation as it is the only one offered.
Thanks.
Michael
Upscale wrote:

And that was exactly what I offered you, but you chose to keep looking for something cheaper. THAT'S why I told you to look in the Yellow Pages.

I think you will be satisfied if you go with Magnacharge. I've had experience with other battery rebuilders and my take on it is that you get what you pay for when it comes to battery rebuilding.
I contacted Magnacharge: they don't rebuild batteries anymore! They stopped that service a year ago or so. I checked with their recommendation, Batterysonic, and he said he doesn't rebuild them too often. Now I am running out of local possiblities. Does anyone know of a reputable battery rebuilder?
Michael
Upscale wrote:

Batteries Plus rebuilds them I believe. They're a retail outfit. Can't vouch for their reputation since I've never used them.
As much as you hate doing so, you may end up skimming the Yellow Pages after all.
Batteries Plus is not in Canada. The Source (Circuit City) builds them: for $90/battery! Might as well buy new at that price!
I don't hate the Yellow Pages: that's where I went first, phoned everyone and found that no one would rebuild cordless tool batteries. It is to the point now that I don't have a choice but to send them down to PrimeCell after all. Sheesh!
Last call: does anyone know anyone that will rebuild Dewalt 14.4V cordless drill batteries in Canada?
Michael
Upscale wrote:

Battery Plus - 416-596-1701 220 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M5B 2H1
Battery Plus - 416-536-6116 Dufferin Mall ON
begin 666 spacer.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``````````"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end
begin 666 listingArrow.gif M1TE&.#EA"0`)`+,.`````-C8V!@8&#,S,YZ>GCP\/(&!@0$!`82$A,;&QCL[ M.Y^?GX>'AQ<7%P```````"'Y! $```X`+ `````)``D```0;T,E)TQB,2G* 4T<X">"#2$530`$4JL"Z@@'0$`#L` ` end

Not wishing to start an argument, but I have a problem believing that a battery rebuilder is so hard to find. I'd bet that by spending less than 30 minutes on the phone, I could some company from the link below that rebuilds batteries.
http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/search/?stype=si&src 11&whattteries&where=Toronto&x8&y
Wed, Jan 3, 2007, 8:00pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (maico) doth claimeth: <snip> I don't hate the Yellow Pages: that's where I went first, phonedeveryone and found that no one would rebuild cordless tool batteries. <snip>
When you call someone like that and they tell you they don't/can't do it, or sell it, that's when you ask them if they know of someone that can/will. I did that looking for steel tubing. If I'd just depended on the yellow pages it would have cost me a lot of time, or maybe no results at all. By calling the first seemingly appropriate company in the yellow pages, getting turned down, then POLITELY asking, it took me a total of two more calls (the next company didn't sell small steel either), and about fifteen minutes to find a company that had want I wanted, and would sell to me.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky

This is a big country...
I've had mine (not Dewalt) rebuilt by Battery Boys here in Saskatoon. You don't say where you're located, though.
I am in Ontario.
I have contacted most of the names on that link and they don't offer the rebuild service. Yes, I ask them who they recommend and I follow up with that. I even called the Recycle organization (can't remember their official name) to see who they would recommend. I haven't had a response yet but I still need to give them a followup call.
Thanks everyone for your help, my search is not over but I will let you know what I find.
Michael
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I have found someone, by chance, at the Hamilton Woodshow this weekend: http://www.batterybuyer.com /
They don't rebuild, they replace. They use Panasonic cells. They are quite knowledgable and the best part is the price: $43.15 +tx per pack (Dewalt 14.4V equivalents)! They are upgraded to 2200 mah as well. I just finished charging them and I am extremely happy with the power. I have not tested durability yet. They warranty their batteries for one year. They ship anywhere in Canada for $7 regardless of how many products you buy! $12 to the USA. Unbeatable. They also make Nimh upgrades as well. They don't have a retail store: online or telephone.
Check them out. Hope this helps. BTW, I will keep my old packs until I find a cheap rebuild service.
Ciao for now,
Michael