sound proofing compressor cabinet

I was considering placing my portable compressor, a 4 gallon Senco 2001, inside a cabinet under my miter station to dampen the noise. Would over heating be a problem if I bored a few vent holes?

Reply to
mel

I put my shopvac into a 24" base kitchen cabinet 3 years ago. Lined all 6 inside surfaces with carpet,left 'flaps' at the front to get access. Also left a 3" wide slot at the back for pipe access and air exhaust. Simple,effective , no problems to date. Nice being able to talk when the things sucking up debris and dust all day long..... Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Nah, you can put it in an enclosure with a series of baffles that will still allow adequate heat escape and deaden the sound. Note: not eliminate the sound.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

All depends what you use it for, and what the run duty cycle is. In a typical woodworking shop, then it would be fine. If you're spraying or sanding with it though, you'll overheat it.

You can certainly put it in "a cabinet" without trouble, just allow adequate airflow. Best design I've seen was a "box within a box". The inner box had no sides and was just a framework with a lid and 6" high side walls at top and bottom. Outside this, about 2" bigger was a set of four sides that didn't reach quite to ground level or the top of the lid. All inner faces were covered with sond absorbing foam (try a boatyard). It was pretty simple to make, yet the vent area was something like 2" x the perimeter length (that's pretty big) and there were no paths for noise emerging through the vents without at least two foam-damped reflections.

Andy Dingley