solid mahogany furniture finished with Tung oil

Hi to all of you experts! I have an old solid mahogony bedroom set that was stripped and finished with Tung oil or Tung oil finish - no stain. My daughter wants the furniture but would like it a little darker to look more like her other antiques. It is "spool" furniture, with all of the ins and outs. How difficult will this be for me, will stripper work, or is sanding in my future? Can anything be applied over the existing finish to darken it without stripping? (I hope, I hope!) Thank you! Mimi

Reply to
Mimi

It won't be difficult for you at all if you follow my simple method.

When I give a gift, it has no strings attached. If she wants it darker, let her darken it. If she does not want it, then yard sale or an ad in the local shoppers paper.

That was easy. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

. That would be easiest! She has a 4 month old baby and so won't be getting into any refinishing soon.They are moving here from a tiny NY apt. They will have to buy a house and 2 cars, so gift furniture is great. It is in my garage where it would be simple to work on it and they could move it in all done in a few months.I would like to do this for her before they move.My brother is the one who did the finishing and he has had it until recently, and I've always thought it should be darker.

Reply to
Mimi

Find somebody with a spray gun and that knows how to mix colors with shellac or lacquer. They will be able to make it darker VERY quickly.

Go here and read this:

is more art form than precise science sooooo "choose wisely".

Mimi wrote:

It is in my garage where it would be simple to work on it and they could move it in all done in a few months.I would like to do this for her before they move.My brother is the one who did the finishing and he has had it until recently, and I've always thought it should be darker.

Reply to
Pat Barber