Snowshoes

I have an old pair of snowshoes that are in need of repair. What is the type of varnish used on the wood and thong to protect from wetness?
Thanks.
Hi GW,
Try a marine (i.e sea, not G.I.) varnish.
Lou

Guess who wrote:

Here's a link to an article from "Snowshoe Magazine" entitled "Traditional Snowshoe Care and Maintenance". It gives suggestions on what finish to use.
http://www.snowshoemag.com/view_content.cfm?content_idw