Smooth Plane

Hi All, I am sure this will be a somewhat futile post, but here goes. After fooling around with many a couple well used hand planes, and a couple new japanese style planes, I think I am ready to purchase a "brand new" No 4 smooth plane. I am trying to decide between a Veritas and the Lie-Nielson. I have a couple Veritas planes, and have been very happy with them, and a rabbet block plane from LN, which is frankly just alright. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on the Veritas and end up wishing I had coughed up the little more for the LN. At the same time if there is no difference that's four K-body clamps from leevalley this month...
I have to say I really wish there was a Lee Valley store in Portland, as I like to touch expensive things before buying them, and as I played with the LN seems only fair. Alright Any thoughs?
Thanks so much in advance, and I look forward to hearing what you guys think
Andrew
Take peek at ABPW. I have never used an LN plane so I do not have a point of reference from the high end.
On a good day, my 80's vintage record #5 can perform nearly as well. It has seen *hours* of tuning. the LV had a couple minutes of honing.
I vote LV (although something in broze would look really cool on the wall).

This may or may not help -- Lee Valley will have a both at Woodworking show in Portland (Oct 21-23) -- www.thewoodworkingshows.com
I've been happy with the Veritas planes I've got; (low angle block, and l.a. smooth). I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their bench planes, were I in the market.
Likewise -- you can always order, and if you don't like it, send it back.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
If that's Portland Oregon Steve Knight is local to you and you could easily go to his shop and see/try/caress his works of art. http://www.knight-toolworks.com /
Art

I was going to say bring those Japanese irons to my shop and I can make a plane that's easy to use around them. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:25:32 -0700, Steve knight

on the subject of making a plane around an iron...
I have a big 'ol iron I've been intending to build a plane around someday. any tips, links or resources you could recommend to get me going?
Yeah, I actually have been trying my hand at making some wood bodied planes, based largely on some instructions in some writing of James Krenov. They are coming along, but I still want to metal bodied plane for some goofy reason.
On 10 Oct 2005 23:09:39 -0700, "Tattooed and Dusty"

well you will learn the hard way (G) sorry I could not resist. resist the force Luke resist. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes
I finished (kinda) my first attempt today. I have to say it's only moderately more difficult to use than the japanese smoother I have. Maybe the next attempt will work even better?
Seriously though, if you know of any good resourses to point me to I would really appreciate it, and sometime I will get around to making that bubble wrap rack for you.
Andrew
Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

Try and catch this episode of Wood Works sometime:
<http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_34860,00.html
For a 1/2 hour show, this particular episode was pretty detailed.
-John
Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

I'm curious why, if you already own some LV planes, that you feel you MIGHT be making a mistake in purchasing another one. I have 5 of them and each one is as well made and useful as the next. I don't own any LN, but I have seen them close up, at WW fairs. I don't know why they command such a high price; snob appeal, better performance, or looks? Not ever having taking one to a piece of wood, I can only conjecture why they sell at such high prices. Not that there's anything WRONG with wanting the higher priced spread...
DAve
Thanks for the start guys. I do know Steve's planes. In fact I have one more or less on the way. For whatever reason I would like an additional metal bodied plane right now. I don't know why I am considering the LN over the Veritas. I went and looked at the LN and was really impressed by how well put together it is. I have been really happy with the overall performance of the Veritas planes I own (a low angle block, and medium shoulder) but both have needed some little tweaks out of the box. The low angle block had a filling on the lever cap that was sharp enough to draw blood, and large enough to prevent the cap from coming off without loosening the screw. No big deal, I too care of it, but I would like this next plane purchase to really last forever.
It should also be added that I am really impatient with shipping, and if I decided on the LN I could go get it in 20 minutes.
That said I am leaning more and more towards Veritas.

You're in which Portland? I am in Cali, orders from Lee valley take a full week from Fed-Ex ground, only option they offer. I hate it!
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Both planes are terrific, I own a few of each and after working with each, I lean only slightly towards the Lie-Nielson. They just feel so good in the hands. Maybe it is because they cost more, but I usually grab the LN when I want to insure a smooth slice.
You will be happy with either. I'll second the Steve Knight plane, I have his coffin smother and its a great plane.
Dave

If I were going to buy a smoother right now, I'd just have to give the LV bevel up smoother a go. I like things that have engineering innovation. This one has. I will also own a Steve Knight smoother some day too. LN planes have never appealed to me. I don't put my tools on pedestals and stare at them. I keep them relatively clean and use that Japanese oil on the bare parts. But I don't polish them or keep them in felt bags. So paying the extra price for the fine finish doesn't ring my value bell.
So do you drive a Lexus, Mercedes, Cadillac, or Volvo? If its a cooper mini, forget the LN. :-)
Bob
What about Clifton, they make a fantastic smoothing plane... equal to the LN and probably better then the LV. You should try and get your hands on one.. for me it just feels better then the LN.

BillyBob I looked at the bevel up smoother and plan on buying one eventually, though didn't truely consider it right now. I am planning on using the No4 for both some final smoothing and lots of trimming things to fit. It seems that the bevel up smoother is mainly designed for the smoothing portion of those wishes. I could be wrong though, please let me know if I am. As far as the car I drive. I have a old diesel suburban, so I suppose I should buy a Stanley from the hardware store. That said I like having tools that work really well, and I use them accordingly. I don't have anything that sits on a pedastal, but I do appreciate the highest quality I can afford.
Randall, I hadn't even considered the Clifton as I was under the impression they were charging a premium for a substandard grade tool. Like only slightly better than the Stanleys I can get at HomeDepot. I'm sorry if I am way off on that one as well.
It seems all in all I should just get a LV and shut up about it...
Thanks for the comments and please keep up coming.
Maybe has anyone at all been disapointed with the LV and been happy with the LN?
Andrew
On 10 Oct 2005 12:00:34 -0700, "Tattooed and Dusty"

I can't say anything about the Veritas planes, but I do have a LN #4. I have been exceedingly pleased with this plane. Fit and finish were superb out of the box, the blade is hefty enough that chatter is not a problem. My honing skills still need more work, but even with that consideration, I have had no problems with getting this plane to give smooth cuts even on curly cherry (haven't used it on many other difficult woods yet). I had a Stanley #4 that I spent hours tweaking and honing the blade, I could never get anywhere near the results I have gotten with the LN.