slight OT - remove plastic film strip from asphalt shingles?

I seem to recall the last time I did a roofing job (11 years ago), I recall removing the thin plastic film on the glue strip, which I assumed was there to prevent the shingles getting all stuck together in the bundle.
However, I'm roofing a new shed and this film is really tough to pull off - not to mention messy. It'll take me longer to pull the film strip than lay the shingles.
Question; is this designed to melt/dissolve; i.e., can I leave it on?
Note that the glue blobs don't have the covering. In the bundle they're lined up with the plastic strips on the shingle above, on the roof of course, the blobs would be under the covering shingle tabs.
thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

That's why you don't have to remove the plastic strip.
http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-12715.html
50% of my business is some kind of roofing/roof repair. We never remove the strip, and the manufacturer never has recommended or required it to be removed.
Robert
Not to sound like a jerk but did you read the instructions on the side of the package? Its says specifically not to remove it if I remember correctly. No need as others have said.

That was the bizarre part - there were no instructions. Googled and lots of instructions for shingling, silence on the tape - I assumed if it had to be removed they would point that out, but kind of hard to do once they're down!! I figure very few homeowners nowadays do there own shingling, so why bother with instructions, although there is plenty of space. The pros would know.
Left them on, finished the job in a morning.
well, you should have removed them. Once they have been removed, and the shingles get hot on the roof, that asphalt strip melts into the shingle it is touching making for a much stronger bond. Oh well.

You need to go look at where that asphault strip lines up on the row below it (hint: not on the plastic strip or anywhere near it).

Indeed.

Yup. My brother-in-law has a roofing business and assures me that that is the purpose. If you look at how they stack, that agrees with the theory. It's only there for shipping purposes; nothing lines up with it that you don't want sticking together once it's staggered on the roof.

Don't do it. It doesn't help anything, and wastes time. Think about it - you _want_ the shingles to melt together under the hot sun to form a better seal.

Leave it on.

Right. Happily, the easy thing and the right thing are the same in this case. Nice when that happens, isn't it?
Dave Hinz
I worked as a roofer for about 6 years. That strip you're referring to is a reinforcement strip used to give the nails (staples when I was doing it) better hold-down qualities. You're not supposed to peel anything off. There will be a row of what looks like dashes along the bottom of the shingles. These globs heat up in the sun allow the shingles to stick to eachother. This is very important in windy conditions. I've seen entire roofs blow off in the cold because the roof was newly added and they didn't have a chance to "bond" yet.
I only remember this strip being on what is called "dimensional" shingles. I don't think 3-tabs have it. If they do, that's a new develpment since I last worked as a roofer.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

When my 14-year-old tab shingle roof began to peel away in recent windstorms, I also wondered if that strip should have been removed when the roof was installed. As I looked at the torn shingles, I saw the remnants of these strips, which peeled off very easily. But now I see this definition of "release tape" on a roofing glossary at http://www.dal-roof.com/terms.htm , so I guess maybe that wasn't an issue:
- A plastic or paper strip that is applied to the back of self-sealing shingles. This strip prevents the shingles from sticking together in the bundles, and need not be removed for application.