slight OT - hanging plank ceiling

The ceiling in my basement with be T&G v-groove planks (6" wide).
Will using 2" finish nails (angled through the tongue like normal) into each joist be enough, or am I going to need to use something better?
Thanks

I usually end up using one blind and one face nail on 5" (1X6 nom) red or white pine T&G strip. The blind nails won't keep bowed stock from climbing back out.
Thanks - what kind of nails though? I'm assuming finish if you're face nailing, but just want to double check. That's a heck of a lot of holes to fill, but I want the ceiling to stay up!

I'd be using 16 ga pneumatic driven finish nails, 6d or 8d. They are pretty soft, and of finer wire than *manual?* finish nails IIRC.

If you are hand nailing, a fastener similar to the SS siding nails might do the job with just blind nailing. They have annular rings for grip and a small, but useful head. The rings make them a bit prone to folding over, so don't use longer nails than required.
http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/woodside.htm

On 27 Feb 2004 14:31:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Tom Bergman) wrote:

I'd use a narrow crown staple.
Would suspect that using some construction adhesive would not be overkill
John
On 27 Feb 2004 14:31:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Tom Bergman) wrote:

On 27 Feb 2004 14:31:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Tom Bergman) wrote:

All the ceilings in my house are 6" T&G and I used #4 finish nails to put them up (through the tongue, of course). 20 years later, they're still there with no problems. I should think if you try to drive a 2" finishing nail through the tongue you won't have any tongues left on your boards.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

A 4d nail is 1-1/4" long. 4/4 T&G is 3/4" thick with a 1/4" tongue (or groove) centered. The face of the tongue would be 1/2" from the underside of the material. Blind nails driven at a 45 degree angle would have to traverse .7" inches of the material before penetrating the framing. Your nails are holding by 1/2" (and finewire 4d's at that)?
Eric Ryder wrote:

Can't argue with that, but can you argue with 20 years of being in place with no problems? No loose boards, no split tongues, etc. Sometimes it's possible to over analyze and ignore the obvious.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Thanks for all the comments, sounds like finish nails it is (pneumatic, should have pointed that out). I will consider using construction adhesive - additional thoughts on that? Continuous bead or occasional dab? Does it remain flexible enough?

Not worth the fuss or expense IMO. Like many here, I've been putting the stuff (Vmatch pine amd cedar, etc) for 20 years without it. For nailing softwoods, recommended fasteners have a penetration ratio of 2/1 (substrate/finish) material.
Eric Ryder wrote:

I'll chime in again to agree with Eric - the construction adhesive is way overkill. Tons of these ceilings have been in place for decades with nothing more than finishing nails to hold them up.