Skil Router

Anyone have a skil dual base router. I am considering this. Any comments.
Mark
mailto: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca
Skil makes a good Model 77 worm drive circle saw. That's it. Any other brand router would be better.
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:37:37 GMT, "Leon"

there are (or were...) some other good tools in the skil industrial lineup (which the 77 IS from). I seem to recall a 3/4" impact driver built like a tank, and a few other things like that. I don't think that that lineup ever included any routers.

Craftsman? :)

Yuh know, I thought about that. Yeah I think even a Craftsman would be better.

Never used a Skil. That bad? I'll take your word for it and stick with my PC.

I had a couple of Skil tools back in the early 80's and every tool that I have replaced them with were shockingly much better. I think since then Skil has gone the route that B&D has gone. IMHO, Skil competes with B&D and Ryobi.
Typically in woodworking equipment you get what you pay for. The Skil is pretty cheap, so it will probably perform cheaply. If that is all you need, and you like the way it feels, then you are all set.

It got a favorable write-up and review when compared to Black n' Decker's and Ryobi's and other low-cost routers. If you're planning on bigger and better uses for a router, you might be served with an entry level Porter Cable, Bosch, DeWalt, etc.
I was checking out routers myself. I ended up with a Bosch they had at Amazon.com for $200. Free shipping, free guide, free mat, plus $25 off on any purchase of $199 or more thru Aug 8. I decided on it while I was reading a review on another router from Consumers Digest or something like that. It listed the Bosch as a best buy. Model 1617EVSPK. 2 1/4 HP.
Hope this helps.
David.