Sketchup tip for users of Make.

Swingman mentioned that dynamic operations in measurements will operate in the make version as well as the Pro. Just that you cannot create them.

In poking around and seeing various components done with dynamic measurements (this may not be the correct term) I found that you can copy that component to another file and use it.

For instance I saw a particular style door wherein the author had variable stiles, rails, and the center of the door. I could copy it to my drawings and use them, same with cabinets, or just the ff, and so on.

The best of course is to find one that the entire cabinet with ff and doors where of a dynamic scale even including the dado's. I have found a couple of those, but then when you use it you find it may be missing a measurement you would like to have in there.

Anyhow, I hope this is clear enough and can help someone else. As it is one trick pony!

But then I am late to this party so most everyone already knows. :)

Reply to
OFWW

Yep, most users do realize that "dynamic components" will work with either version of SketchUp. Just one of the reasons Dynamic Components are available on the 3D Warehouse. ;)

That said, if you really want to take the use of Dynamic Components in kitchen design to another level, you don't own the Pro version of SU and/or don't have the programming chops to roll your own, you might consider someone like these guys:

They were johnny-come-lately's to the game, but did take it to another level for those who don't have the desire to spend the time to do it themselves.

No, I don't use the product, have heard good things about it, and certainly embrace the concept, for that versatility is what has always so good, and exciting, about the SketchUp software ... especially for the price.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the links, I have seen some sketchdata designs in the catalogue. But I'll be checking this other stuff out.

What I meant by copying components was that if I liked a particular component out of a drawing, like the door, but their ff and cabinet stuff was weak that I could copy that out of their drawing and place it in another file I was working with. Like mix n match. It keeps their authorship with their component.

If I were doing this for a living I would sure purchase Sketchup for all the other benefits. As it stands I will only get it if I can do things no other way, which is always a possibility as one grows. :)

Reply to
OFWW

In the event you haven't noticed, SU already comes with a number of ready made "components", organized into "collections", that can be accessed from the "component browser" (see below).

In addition, when you find a component (third party or your own design/dynamic or otherwise) that you like and may want to reuse in the future, you can save it to its own .skp file.

You can then import that file into SketchUp for future use in other models using your "components browser" (found in the default tray); and/or save it to a collection of like components using SU's component browser's 'collection'(*2) feature for future use.

Then it's just a simple matter of selecting the component you want to insert into your model and dragging and dropping it into the workspace from the component browser.

(*1) -

(*2) -

Swingman