Sick of woodworking??

Page 3 of 4
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:42:54 GMT, patriarch

I finished mine today. It's in the ammonia box tonight, then it'll get some waxing tomorrow and be done. Photos sometime soon.
Do you know much about arks ? I've found very little documentation on them and not many examples of them to go and study. Plenty of flat-topped coffers or framed chests, but not many with the "ark" lid.
Any idea how they held the bases on ? I had to guess and did it by two huge tenons in the end and sitting the edges of the base in grooves in the sides.
Quite a fun thing to make. No machine tools, no measuring instruments. I did the whole thing with a couple of chisels, one saw, and a couple of planes.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Do a google search of "medieval chests", or "viking woodworking" You'll get a lot of good ideas on arks and similar chests.
--RC
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:17:49 GMT, Rick Cook

There are almost no web resources on ark chests, and many are wildly inaccurate. Most of them are from SCA people who think that screwed plywood around a beer cooler is "period".
There are some useful sites around on Norse work, but that's a whole different period.
A few pictures from one of the few useful sites: http://www.early-oak.fsnet.co.uk/littleark1.htm
This site also says there's an ark in Abergavenny museum - there isn't, it's a flat-topped clamp-front coffer. Couple of bible boxes and an armada chest too. Worth seeing, but it's not an ark.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:39:51 +0100, Andy Dingley
Here's the ark I finished yesterday http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/ark /
Yes, I really need a better camera 8-(
Andy Dingley wrote:

build something like it. Is it still plagiarism if I tell you ahead of time?     mahalo,     jo4hn

Thanks - go right ahead.
I wouldn't copy mine though - go back to original sources and copy them, not some half-assed second generation.
Like I said, I have _no_ evidence that arks were ever built in this half-size manner. I just made it from the timber I had and sized accordingly. Most of the details came from the photos on the Early Oak site, and looking at a few other period chests. No ruler or measurement used - just a square and a pair of dividers.
I was really planning to make one from riven boards, but my froe technique isn't good enough to split big flat boards in oak. Those are pretty good radial boards, but they're sawn and parallel, not split and tapered.
I _might_ sketch some drawings of it. Might do.
--
Smert' spamionam

Do something else for a while. If you don't do any woodworking for a while the answer will become clear, you either like it or you don't. If it's still not clear, wait longer.
Don't rush into selling things, replacing them will be a pain if you miss the activity.
Barry
"Greg O" wrote in message

This too shall pass ... just remember that there is an extremely fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
Dave Barry?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

You need a diversion.
For me, I spend most of the spring/summer working in the yard, mowing grass, trimming trees, maintaining the pool, etc. I hardly get a chance to do any WW. Come fall/winter I can't wait to get back to the shop. SHMBO always has a long list of stuff she wants. This year it's a table, chairs and bar stools, more picture frames, shelves for her sewing room and an island for the kitchen. I can't wait to get started.
--
Al Reid

How will I know when I get there...
Greg:
At the risk of sounding flippant I'll say "been there, done that" but you'll probably get over it. I don't know what all of your circumstances are, but a few years ago we moved into a new house and I was happily looking at a full basement finish. We had the contractor sheetrock the basement and install the bath tub. I did all of the doors, trimming, cabinetry, etc. I no more than started when my dad's health took a dive and he died. After funeral and estate matters I was able to convince myself that the basement was good therapy and it really was. But it took almost a year to get the final item, a pretty ornate wet bar, built and installed.
By this point I didn't give a damn if I ever looked at another piece of oak again and the West end of my garage (shop) collected a lot of dust from neglect. I even considered selling out and using the money for something else. Thankfully I didn't. Within a year or so I started diddling with small projects, then took early retirement. Since then I have built some pretty nice rocking horses for grandkids and friends. When my son wanted some unique coffee and end tables for his new home dad spend quite a bit of time designing and building them. I have taken on some other pretty challenging projects and have enjoyed building my competence in the craft like no other time in my life. I have acquired some new equipment and find myself rolling design and construction ideas around in my head quite a bit. I am truely enjoying the constant frustrations and challenges of being a woodworker and antique rebuilder again and think it will be my small retirement business.
Advice: - Back off for a while.
- Keep the tools. Another smart poster hit it on the head - they are cheap to keep and expensive to replace. Besides, you can probably use some of them for normal home maintenance.
- Don't start any projects that are not fun for a while.
- Hit the wood and craft shows now and then. There are woodworkers out there that can provide real inspiration. Newsgroups like this one and abpw can do the same.
- If you have kids or grankids, you might find real rewards in planning and building simple projects for them. The same goes for wife, and other family.
- When you start to feel inspiration, don't go nuts. Take time to think, plan and rethink before you start. At least for me, this is the most enjoyable part of the craft and reduces the frustration that comes from error.
Hang it there!
RonB

it for too long and your brain is telling you to "get a life"...
DON'T sell any tools!! Just put your shop and all projects on hold for a bit...
Tell your daughter that you'd rather spend quality time with her than be in the shop working on her desk... no matter what age she is, she should be suitably impressed.. if not, take the wife out for an adult beverage or 3 instead..
The mind is a weird and wonderful thing.. if, as I suspect, you have a real love for woodworking, it will be in the "back of your mind" and you'll eventually either come back to the shop with the old interest and energy, or decide that it just isn't your thing anymore (which is ok, too) and then decide if you want to keep or sell the tools..
damn... starting to feel like Dr. Phil here... Maybe you just need to have a beer and get laid?? *lol*
Mac

Always good advice...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Did that, a few times, in differant order. I still did not want to go out to the shop! Greg

separation.. lol
Mac

The answer to this is pretty much dependent on where you live. If, for instance, you live anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA, then you are completely sick of woodworking and will never enjoy the hobby again. In that case you need to sell your tools immediately and for a great loss. You MUST NOT sell any of them to a friend or a neighbor as you will then constantly see them and be reminded of your dislike for woodworking. As a favor, I will take them off your hands and not even charge you for transportation or nuthin'.
On the other hand, if you are far from Pittsburgh, then you just need a break or you need to build something for YOU. Do some project that is not needed and not "rational" but that is kinda cool. Build a present for a friend or co-worker who doesn't expect it so that they can give you lots of WOWs and THANKS and "You MADE this ?!!!!".
But I really hope you live near Pittsburgh.
Dave Hall
Greg, In my case, the joy my kids give me after I give them a finished project, IS the motivation to build the next project. Although I do burn out now and then, the cure usually is switching gears and make something from steel. I get to turn, weld, grind and pound until I'm ready to start woodworking again.
Side note on selling tools: A few years ago I sold my old 1952 Logan metal lathe. I have regretted that decision everyday until I recently replaced it (at a substantial cost increase). I will never sell another tool.
If nothing helps, you may just have to watch one on the inane home improvement tv shows.
Dave

My god! You are gonna punish me for not woodworking?! Greg
calmly ranted:

Yes. You are hereby sentenced to watched 7 days of Changing Rooms, Carrol Duvall, BlobVilla's Restore America, and DIYNET's wonderful offerings such as "Woodworking."
That'll larn ya.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

dust, really I am! Greg
calmly ranted:

I had a feeling that'd scare you "straight". G'luck!
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown