Siccative for linseed oil; toxicity?

Hello, all.

I have a bottle of siccative for adding to linseed oil. This contains: cobalt carboxylate, calcium carboxylate, and lithium carboxylate.

The bottle is marked (among other warnings) "R65, noxious, can damage the lungs if ingested".

Am I right in assuming that this siccative is unsuitable for use on articles likely to come into contact with foodstuffs (chopping boards, salad bowls); that even when fully dry, some toxicity remains?

What about using it on a knife handle? Would some toxic residue be left on the hands of someone who uses the knife?

Keith.

Reply to
Keith

This may be because the victim will continuously belch up noxious fumes that will then be inhaled.

You could just use 100% pure tung oil. It hardens on its own without added driers. In my experience, it hardens better that boiled linseed oil. It also darkens less with age and is supposed to have better chemical resistance. The cured oil is supposed to be non-toxic, the uncured oil may be an irritant--it is listed as such in _Hazardous Properties of Industrial Materials_ by Irving R. Sax. It doesn't seem to bother my skin though.

It may take weeks for the tung oil to fully cure, but as I said above, IMHO, in a humid climate, boiled linseed oil retains a greasy feel for months.

Contrary to what others have noted, I have never seen a product labeled 'Tung Oil' that was anything other than tun oil. I have seen many products labeled 'Tung Oil _Finish' that had little or no tung oil in it. Check the ingrediants on the label.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

"G.E.R.R.Y." In article

Don't ask, don't tell, don't misconstrue pronoun references....

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:58:08 +0200, "Keith" pixelated:

"Siccative" is a fancy term for metallic driers. Yes they are poisonous and I wouldn't use 'em on food containers.

That'd probably be OK. I'd use that on my own garden tools and knife handles, even steak knives.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques