Should I rip my rough lumber before stickering it?

My usual method of working from rough lumber is as follows:

  1. Find some irresitable bargain and buy as much as I think SMWBO will allow.
  2. Seal the ends.
  3. Sticker the planks in my basement workshop.
  4. Let a minimum of two weeks elapse.
  5. Rip oversize and do a first pass dressing to somewhere around 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the final dimensions.
  6. Sticker again and let a minimum of a few days pass to let the relieved stresses sort themselves out.
  7. Finish dressing to the final dimensions and get to work.

Now, my question is: if I know that a 12" plank of, say, 8/4 hard maple, is destined to be ripped into

2 3/4" strips, would it be better to rip it as soon as I bring it home?

Thanks for your opinions. Keith Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
Keith Hanlan

it'll depend on the board, of course. the way you're doing it is the safe way. you might want to get a moisture meter if you have doubts about your supplier, but if they have been selling you a consistent product and you trust them I'd say keep on as you are.

if you're buying green lumber it's a different game altogether.

Reply to
bridger

Get enough for yours and her project, plus 25% for "cutting waste."

Waste of time and money unless it came off the stump yesterday.

Good. FPL says 1% per week adjustment on 4/4 planks, FWIW. Now get a hygrometer.

Probably an exercise in "feel good." While it's good advice to sticker and wait on resaws, where you've had radical surgery, the symmetry of dressing the surfaces means you're pretty much at the same stress level at which you began.

My answer to 5&6 is my take on it. If you've had good access to air on all sides of the board , leave it in the entire. Some folks say that prepared stock should never be left unglued or restrained once it's processed. Turns out that way, mostly, at my house, but it's nothing set in stone.

Reply to
George

Excuse my ignorance but what is the definition of sticker in this context?

Thanks,R.C.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

..top posting repaired...

Placing small "sticks" between layers when stacking lumber for air circulation...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
bridger