should I buy a scraper from HD or CT?

Or should I head to LeeValley for this?

I have started using my chisels as scrapers, as I have just started using my chisels. I would like a scraper I think, for the same reason I am grateful I have a #4 plane.

I just did door hinges with a chisel, and dragged the chisel lastly, and used the hinge edge as a indication if flat. How would a scraper be for this task? Is it more for tabletops. Man am I happy for planes.

What kind of wear/damage am I doing to a chisel dragging it?

Reply to
bent

Not suitable, too big, too flexible, no handle.

Exactly, although some of us prefer to use a sharp plane blade with a slightly convex tip removed from the plane and dragged like a scraper. I always found scrapers a devil to sharpen and very hard on the thumbs.

Normal blunting, no damage

Reply to
Tim W

now I don't think I want one, b/c I won't use it. ANyone want to influence me?

Reply to
bent

There are dedicated planes for hinge gains, but I use a router plane. Either the Stanley 71 or 271 for smaller work. Very useful planes for all sorts of tasks.

RicodJour

a power tool, then a plane, then a chisel, then sanding.

is a scraper in there somewhere for convenience, or is it too specific?

Reply to
bent