Shop with an exterior platform. What type of flooring would hold up?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote the following:

Yeah, putting a table saw or RAS on a a slanted surface would be much better!
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/28/10 6:33 PM, willshak wrote:

Tangent.... They started using a porous concrete for non structural applications that cover the ground, like sidewalks and parking lots, in order to reduce flooding from storm waters.
The stuff is remarkable. They held up a slab of it and let a hose run on top. The water ran through a 4" slab like a coffee filter.
--

-MIKE-

00hvc.rr.com says...

How is a wet concrete deck better?
On 9/28/10 9:38 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Neither is an issue with GFCI breakers.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

Perhaps not, but what about slipping on a wet surface? How would a GFCI help there, especially resetting it with the one hand you may have left?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/28/10 6:35 PM, willshak wrote:

Wow, Bill. You couldn't assume by my statement that I hadn't clued in to the slippage issue? Did I miss the smiley face?
To the point, I would brush finish the pad like a driveway and not like an indoor floor. I've played plenty of basketball games on wet concrete driveways with no slipping.
For that matter, how many of us have used our power tools on a driveway at a client's house? This is not rocket surgery, folks.
--

-MIKE-

Yeah, but when I used my 1/2 sheet powered pad sander with 400 grit sandpaper, I had a lot of difficulty putting a non-slip surface on the concrete. :)
On 9/28/10 7:28 PM, Upscale wrote:

Sorry, I'm dense... I don't get it.
--

-MIKE-

Tiny sander, way too fine a grit, very large surface to prep.
I'd have run 32 grit on the belt sandah and let it run across the pad by itself, hauling it back by the cord to get the surface prepped. You?
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Sounds like an excuse to slack off and practice your sander racing.
00hvc.rr.com says...

And you can't slip on concrete?
J. Clarke wrote the following:

I find that I am less likely to slip on concrete than on wood or tile after a rain, but your mileage may vary.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/28/10 8:38 PM, willshak wrote:

Of course you would slip on concrete that is finished smooth like an indoor floor, but who slips on a wet driveway?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

I don't understand. Who said anything about smoothing outdoor concrete? All outdoor concrete that is going to remain bare is, or should be, broom brushed to reduce slippage.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/30/10 2:58 PM, willshak wrote:

You quoted it.

My point, exactly.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

I did no such thing. Nowhere in this thread from my entrance (all quoted above) is smoothed concrete even mentioned until you mentioned it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/30/10 8:06 PM, willshak wrote:

You are correct, sir. My bad.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
J. Clarke wrote the following:

It absorbs water better.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Switch to 5" rubber-wheeled casters and you won't have any problem rolling over regular decking with the eased edges.

Probably fairly well. Going up in size will help there, too.

Concrete is a definite contender.
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London