Shop size advise needed

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 1 May 2010 09:39:32 -0700 (PDT), "fallen.morgan (at) gmail.com"

Yes, storage is always a problem. I need more storage for my tools. :-( Working on that, but without a proper shop, yet, it's tough going.

THe table saw is normally the "center of the wood shop" because it has the largest "foot print". It really needs at least 8' front and back and even right of the blade. Work benches are usually put against a wall, out of the way. Wood is smaller by the time it gets there. ;-)

I'm dealing with space issues too. No matter what I end up with, I think my idea of putting a miter saw and drill press on the same stand is going to save me some space. I'm buying a portable table saw with wheels and making a picnic table with wheels into a shop table and putting peg board everywhere. I put one piece on the back of an existing bookshelf that was in the middle of the garage, so now it partitions off part for woodshop and the rest for somehing else. I like the idea of making all surfaces at the same height so that my table can serve as a surface for receiving large plywood cuts from table saw.
The main thing though is that I'm not afraid of making mistakes. That's how I learn. Sounds very basic but for me it wasn't that easy to realize ... easy to say.

THANK YOU, THAN YOU everybody !!!! I will go with the extra width. In fact, I am thinking of possibly making it 2.5 to 3 feet wider. This will allow me to build an exterior staircase, 2.5 to 3 feet wide, in order to easily get on top for storage. Currently I'm hauling a ladder around. A staircase (again, it's outside of the new addition) would slightly cramp the 'walk-around' area for my car hoist. I'm considering a hinged staircase that I can raise out of the way with a rope or chain. Have any of you done this? Any ideas on how to keep it light weight? Simply use a pulley system to reduce effort? Would probably only go up on top maybe once or twice a month.

My grandpa has a hinged ladder for attic access in his garage. To drop it down, a rope with a couple of pulleys attaches to the moving side of the ladder. The pulleys simply change direction, I doubt there's much mechanical advantage in that system. (It's simply not needed.)
You may want to consider a set of standard attic stairs that go inside your shop. They only take up space in the attic, and when down only need a minimal amount of space. They should be available at just about any hardware store.
Puckdropper

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

That or same as attic stairs...springs.
--