Shop Radio/CD Players?

Page 2 of 2
Oooh, this is kind of a nifty idea. I could see using that all over the house. Any idea what kind of a range these things have? I assume the FCC won't come storming into my place and confiscate my equipment for running a pirate station? :-)
(Seriously though, the range/power issue is kind of important. My shop is in the masonry-and-rebar basement below a detached garage, and the wall of the garage is situated about 10' horizontally from the wall of the house, where the computer is located on the second floor. Neither a cordless telephone nor a cell phone work down there -- leaving me with no way to call for help when I saw off extraneous digits and limbs. But all that's less important than being able to listen to tunes :-)
Darin
Wood Butcher wrote:

I have had terrible experience with the RCA/Radio Shack wireless speakers and headsets but that is because of the way they build houses in Florida. Lots of concrete and steel seems to severely limit the range. I also have some FM transmitters based on the BA1404 chip but they are pretty dismal, right out of the box. There are ways to hot rod that setup. The easiest is probably a better antenna. Since I have the wire in the wall I just use a wired solution. There are some transmitters like the Veronica that will "get out" but they are not legal. I suppose if you live a few miles from the nearest Ham operator or radio station you might get away with it but don't be surprised if a guy in a government suit shows up.
On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:08:25 -0500, "darin-N O S P A M-nntp2"

I modified an old drawer box that I had laying around, by putting a wood frame, covered in speaker cloth, on the opening. Drilled a hole in the back and wired a cheap muffin fan right into the line cord. I've got a little sponge filter that came from an old lawn mower tune-up kit, that I just stuffed into the hole that the fan sits in front of.
My theory was that I would have filtered air coming in and positive pressure in the box containing the boomer.
Seems to work OK.
(watson - who was too bone idle to wire the muffin fan to the switch, and so puts up with having to plug the unit in every time he uses it.)
Regards, Tom.

Just another thought on this. The powered speaker sets designed for use as computer accessories can sound reasonably decent. Their advantage (other than small size) is that they can be run off of a Discman type CD player that can be kept in a drawer to minimize exposure to dust. That's what I do and I'm fairly happy with it.
Cheers, Mike
darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 wrote:

I bought a Sony am/fm/cd player that is small, portable, and water resistant. Works great. Every now and then I vacuum out the CD player chamber. Even got a free t-shirt from Sony. Can't beat that with a piece of liver.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Whatever type system you get, I've found that ceiling speakers are the best overall sound solution. The sound fills the shop far more than having them at one end. The Around $50 a pair and easy to install.
Neal
On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:08:25 -0500, "darin-N O S P A M-nntp2"

I have a cheap $10 radio that's works everyday for the past 20 years. It's covered with dust, but it does not seem to mind. I've even dropped it on the concrete floor a few times, but don't try that with today's models!
darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 wrote:

If you use DeWalt cordless tools they have a "worksite radio" designed for shop/site use that will if plugged into the wall charge their battery packs and if not plugged into the wall run off of them. No CD player on it though, but it does have an aux input that you could plug a CD Walkman or something into.
If you froogle "Jeep Boombox" you'll find an AM/FM radio/CD player that's designed to be weatherproof--I understand the sound isn't great though and it's only weatherproof with the lid closed and latched, but it should be dustproof as well.
Or put the whole mess outside the shop or in a sealed cabinet with only the cabling for the speakers coming out--you can either put a transparent front on it and run it with remotes through the front or put infrared repeaters on it. Check out <http://www.smarthome.com> for some ideas--they're not necessarily the cheapest source around but they have a nice "wish-book"--if you want to get hardcore then try the comp.home.automation newsgroup.

--
--John
J. Clarke responds:

Bosch offers one with a CD, battery charger, 4 GFCI outlets.
No idea how the sound is, but IME, with tools running, top notch sound is something of a waste (given my hearing, it's something of a waste even when no tools are running).
Sony has a small "boom box" that is made for the beach. I bought one for SWMBO 2 years ago, not because of its weather resistance but because it will play MP3s. Now she has about 6 CDs in her craft room above the shop and has more than enough music.
BRuce
darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Pick whatever cheap radio you want and put it in a clear trash bag and cinch it up. It will sound fine and no dust will get in. It's what the drywall guys around here do. Dean

I don't think the old tube radio in my shop would like that lack of air circulation.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

My god! you use fire powered radios in a wood shop? That's dangerous. Ciao: Dean
I buy one at a yard sale every 3 to 4 years, usually a good stero system sombody is getting rid of. Total cost for color TV and stero system for past 11 years has been about $12.
darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 wrote:

I bought a four way speaker switch for my house stereo. Living room's got good speakers, kitchen has in-the-wall speakers, deck has a pair of outdoor speakers and I just installed two outdoor speakers in the ex-garage shop space. You can turn on any of these in any combination.
I bought the outdoor speakers at Sam's Club or maybe BJ's several years ago. The speaker switch came from Circuit City.
If you get one that's advertised as weatherproof they'll hold up great to the dust; all the switches are covered by rubber membranes and the whole thing seals up pretty tight. Sony makes some bright yellow ones. There are probably others too.
Charlie
in message