Sonny
277volts? not 220, or 120..
Is 3 phase 277v?
On 11/5/2012 9:03 PM, Sonny wrote:

"tiredofspam" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- 480Y/277V,3PH, 4 Wire is a very common industrial distribution scheme.
3, 277V single phase legs are connected in a grounded neutral Y configuration to produce 480V, 3 Ph power (L1, L2, L3).
1 PH power (L1 or L2 or L3 to N (grounded neutral) produces 277V for single phase loads is available from the addition of the neutral conductor.
It's just that old square root of 3 thing.
BTW, 208Y/120 is another popular distribution scheme.
Lew
"Sonny" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------- If they paid me $50 apiece to haul them away, it still would not be a good deal.
Lew

Not a good deal unless you happen to be sitting on a 120 to 277V transformer. And if they don't have electronic ballasts your paying the seller to dispose of them for him.
Mike M
I'm not knowledgeable enough to have known this wasn't a reasonable deal for the average shop. Thanks.
Sonny
What a deal. Now just to rewire the home shop to use 277 V. :)
On 11/5/2012 8:03 PM, Sonny wrote:

regardless of ballast or voltage, the tubes for these are not going to be available soon. That's why they are being taken out of buildings everywhere.
--
Steve Barker
snipped-for-privacy@notgmail.com says...

Why would 4 foot T8 tubes not be available?
That's wierd our gym in our school just replaced the vapor lights with T8.. I'm sure the school is 3phase.
Nice because they are instant on, instead of waiting 10 minutes for warm up.
On 11/6/2012 2:09 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:32:52 -0500, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I'm assuming he thought they were T-12 fixtures which are being phased out. Lighting technology has been changing rapidly and it can be practical to replace T-8 3/L fixtures as well. I haven't worked since 2009 but there are a lot of programs making it attractive and give a fast payback. They were just getting started with LED back when I got hurt.
Mike M
Sonny wrote:

I think they are Maryhoowanna grow-lights.