shop Drawer making question

Hi Gang, here's the gig:
I recently scored a bunch (like 100) of old WW2 RPG cases that I plan to use as drawers for some shop storage. They're basically wooden boxes about 2' long, and about 6x6". They're finger jointed together. I'll be making a set of shelves to hold them (think apothecary cabinet), and need to figure out some way to put knobs on them. I'm worried that "normal" knobs will just pull the end off the box, as the inger joints don't really provide any strength in that dimension..
Any ideas?
about all I've come up with is a brass trip screwed along the bottom with some sort of handle attached to the front end.....
thanks
--JD
Angle bracket inside, with pull through one leg?

use
set
I like this one. Thanks a ton. Hadn't even thought of this type of solution... --JD

2'
out
with
Run a seam of hot melt glue along the inside of the drawer. It will add strength to the front.
Dick

The finger joints are glued are they not? If so why would they pull off? Finger joints are very strong, about the equivalent of dovetails, only lacking the mechanical interlock while providing more glue area.

use
set

If in doubt, 'pin' the finger joint. d*mn near guaranteed not to come apart if you do that.
Alternative: a corner-brace on the _inside_ of the box, to tie the front to the bottom, with the bolt for the knob going through the brace.