shocking table saw

Page 2 of 4
Europe is scared of nearly everything, including each other! In the case of the president (yes, with a small p), I don't much blame them. Wilson

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:12:35 +0100, Andy Dingley

Been there, done that.
I was building power test systems for HP TMO (now part of Agilent). The units sent to Europe had some requirements that were universally regarded with a shrug, but they weren't especially difficult to implement.
The most obvious change was that they required a the neutral to be run through a breaker, which in US practice would be thought dangerous.

Hey - stop it. Remember, we invented 'lectricity.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

I think I read one time that the wished they were...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:20:29 +0100, Andy Dingley wrote:

I think a fellow named Ben Franklin did his kite experiment in 1752. I may be wrong, but I think this predates the 'lectrical contributions of the three you named.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

Franklin's "experiment" showed that lightening and electricity were one in the same. He did not "discover" electricity.
From http://www.codecheck.com/pp_elect.html :
"Around 600 BC Greeks found that by rubbing an 'electron' (a hard fossilized resin that today is known as Amber) against a fur cloth, it would attract particles of straw. This strange effect remained a mystery for over 2000 years, until, around AD 1600, Dr William Gilbert investigated the reactions of amber and magnets and first recorded the word 'Electric' in a report on the theory of magnetism."
I believe Gilbert was a Brit.
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:17:18 -0400, Nova wrote:

I didn't say he did discover electricity, only that his experiment with the kite and storing "lightening" in his bottle predated the work of the fellows Andy mentioned.
In fact, Ben couldn't be officially considered a "US/Merican" citizen in 1752, but more properly a Brit.
I spoze also many neandertals (OBWW) discovered their hair standing on end long before the Greeks got their zap off a doorknob or cat or whatever.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
unfortunately he was an Englishman LOL
signature Troy & Michelle Hall Cogy Farm Clay Center, Kansas 67432

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:33:54 -0700, Doug Winterburn
And a loyal subject of King George at the time !
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 01:20:29 +0100, Andy Dingley

If they lived here, invented here, and patented here, um Yeah. Why not?
---- - Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it? - http://diversify.com Web Applications
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:54:20 GMT, Mike Marlow

"Well sheet, boy, Muddy Waters 'vented 'lectricity." -- Spoken by "Blind Man Willie Johnson" in Crossroads. Guitar pickin' by Steve Vai, who also taught Ralph Maccio how to fake it.

You
day.
I think you missed the sarcasim! Greg

Well, if there was any sarcasm there I missed it...twice. I went back and reread it. He was serious.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

defective
rather
was
Sorry, I thought you were saying the fence was no good and you had to clamp a piece of wood to the table. I have cut plywood like that many times with no problems at all; so I guess you are just clumsy.
Go add a ground. Do any stupid thing you want.
It's always interesting to see all the aggressive opinions that come with many electrical questions. Some have tried to explain the difference between a ground and neutral, while others have ignored or misinterpreted it. But no matter how you explain it, getting shocked is not a nice thing. With older devices, those who survive are usually experiencing leakage current which may be more startling than directly dangerous. Unfortunately, one can never tell when this leakage may increase.
In a few very old items, reversing the plug may stop the problem, and you can then put a polarizing plug on to keep it that way.
There is nothing illegal or dangerous about connecting an earth ground to the frame, as he said below. However, a tool that discharges current through this earth ground is dangerous and against any electrical code. Check with any book or reputable site on this. Now, you could always put this into a ground-fault outlet, but it would probably trip immediately.
In short, you have a potentially dangerous situation which shold be fixed. Adding a ground will at least give you some protection if the leakage increases, so the motor will begin to smoke before you do.
This is also the reason I run my shop with ground-fault detectors.
GerryG

Both you and he are incorrect. Grounding an appliance (tablesaw) which has a neutral frame connection (advertent or inadvertent) will energize the ground throughout the premises while the appliance (tablesaw) is on - a potentially fatal occurance for someone else on the premises.

This is true.

not necessarily true.
scott

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 23:43:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
| |>There is nothing illegal or dangerous about connecting an earth ground to the |>frame, as he said below. However, a tool that discharges current through this | |Both you and he are incorrect. Grounding an appliance (tablesaw) which has a neutral frame |connection (advertent or inadvertent) will energize the ground throughout |the premises while the appliance (tablesaw) is on - a potentially fatal occurance |for someone else on the premises.
Really funny. In another post you say:
"In such a configuration, the frames of all other devices *which share the same ground path* (emphasis added) will be energized. I don't think you really want this.
Now it's "throughout the premises."

Meant the former, mistyped the latter.
scott