Shellac tinting

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
Chrisgiraffe

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Reply to
alexy

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a few hours ago. Worked fine.

Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and try it.

Reply to
Toller

These are alcohol soluble but I have never used them.

ROY!

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around forever.

the manufacturer's homepage:
aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the question, I wouldn't have found this place:

's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.

RicodJour

Transtint dyes are designed to be dissolved in water or alcohol.

Oil and alcohol don't readily mix.

Reply to
Nova

...but NOT on your project. ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Thu, Oct 11, 2007, 12:47pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Chrisgiraffe) doth sayeth: I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'd not tint 'any' finish. If I wanted tint I'd tint the whatever. 'Cause sure as anything, I'd have tinted finish left over, then not want to use it on something else.

J T

You can tint oil finish with artists' oils, then shellac over top.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

Jim Weisgram

their freight is punitive.

Reply to
Toller

True. But he was asking about oil stains, not dyes.

Reply to
alexy

I really don't know; I've seen it in various catalogs but not in the only local woodworking shop. Woodcraft carries it on their web site so perhaps they have it in their retail stores.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Mixol colors is a product of The Target Coatings Group in Rutherford, NJ.

distributor's list can be found at:

Nova

"Universal colors" are what your paint dealer uses to tint paint base. Wouldn't hurt to ask if he can sell you a few tubes -- or even if he can tint a pint of blond shellac with his computerized mixer provided the risk isn't on him.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

IIRC, earth pigments are light fast, and can be mixed to match any wood tone. Dayglo colors fade the quickest, but I doubt anyone here is psychotic enough to stain furniture with them.

Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe; does anyone know if they're still in business?

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

A really interesting thought.

**
**

B A R R Y

The mind reels.... there's orange shellac, and then there's DayGlo Orange shellac...

Reply to
Doug Miller

I would read this first:

Pat Barber