Shellac tinting

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around forever. http://tinyurl.com/3yealw And the manufacturer's homepage: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html
Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.
I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the question, I wouldn't have found this place: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com It's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.

True. But he was asking about oil stains, not dyes.

IIRC, earth pigments are light fast, and can be mixed to match any wood tone. Dayglo colors fade the quickest, but I doubt anyone here is psychotic enough to stain furniture with them.
Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe; does anyone know if they're still in business?

A really interesting thought.

The mind reels.... there's orange shellac, and then there's DayGlo Orange shellac...
--
Regards,
<<Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe; does anyone know if they're still in business?>>
Pantone is very much in business. You can buy their markers at any decent art supply store such as Blick.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/71 /
Lee

_________________________________

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a few hours ago. Worked fine.
Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and try it.
Toller wrote:

...but NOT on your project. ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

These are alcohol soluble but I have never used them.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDb04
ROY!
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

Transtint dyes are designed to be dissolved in water or alcohol.
Oil and alcohol don't readily mix.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

You can tint oil finish with artists' oils, then shellac over top.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:47:25 -0700, Chrisgiraffe

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/Japandrycolors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but their freight is punitive.

I really don't know; I've seen it in various catalogs but not in the only local woodworking shop. Woodcraft carries it on their web site so perhaps they have it in their retail stores.

Toller wrote:

Mixol colors is a product of The Target Coatings Group in Rutherford, NJ.
http://www.targetcoatings.com/index.html
Their distributor's list can be found at:
http://www.targetcoatings.com/distributors.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

"Universal colors" are what your paint dealer uses to tint paint base. Wouldn't hurt to ask if he can sell you a few tubes -- or even if he can tint a pint of blond shellac with his computerized mixer provided the risk isn't on him.