shellac question -- very slow to fully harden

Page 2 of 2
SNIP of a shellac discussion

I know a number of people with that same life motto....
Dave Hall
I'm still using the canned stuff, but have had good luck. I do dilute it about 50/50 with alcohol, and it almost flash dries. I can get in about 4 coats in an afternoon.
I'd try a stronger dilution, and see if that helps. Means more coats of course.
Old Guy.

"Old guy" wrote in message

I spray only, usually with a 1# cut, using BORG quality "denatured alcohol" on the good days, 99% anhydrous on the dicey, and have the exact same results.
I'm thinking, judging from his description, that the OP' is applying too thick and too many.
Just a SWAG ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07
neilc wrote:

Paint a spot onto the shellac lid. If it also stays soft, the shellac is to blame. That's the standard test for freshness.