Shellac, Pigments & Pinstripes

Some years ago I was fortunate to obtain an English, 8 bell chiming, longcase clock movement. I am near completion of a new case for it and would like your help in finishing it. After vain attempts to gather information and replicate a Chinese lacquer finish I am focusing on using shellac and pigments.
If you have experience in using pigments for opaque finishes I would like to hear from regarding mixes, hints on where to purchase and any pitfalls to avoid.
Additionally, I am considering using a pin-striping wheel to apply opaque shellac. Is shellac to thin a medium for use in a wheel? Anyone ever try it?
Basically my plans are:
1. Fill and seal wood grain. 2. Base coat of bright red shellac. 3. Add striping and geometrical shapes 4. Add Chinese scenes. 5. Finals coating of translucent shellac with colors to tone down the brightness.
I posted a bracket clock that has the type of finish I wish to replicate on my longcase at A.B.P.W.
If you can be of help or have suggestions, comments, etc. I would like to hear from you.
Regards and Happy Holidays,
Roger in Abilene

Thanks Roger, I'm flattered that you'd ask me. I'd love to help, but I'm a bit tied up the next few weeks so you may have to go it alone. If, however, it would be of some help, I can send you my old underwear to use for polishing cloths. Pure cotton, lint free, they do work well.
Let me know. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Boxers or Jockeys ? I find that only boxer shorts (hard glazed long-staple cotton) are up to the job.
I've done some repro lacquer with shellac. Reds and browns were no problem, I used a local ochre pigment (Clearwell Caves in The Forest) but I'm still unhappy about blacks.
To thicken for maki-e, I use whiting. Tried silex too, but it gave a result that was impossibly hard if I needed to rub it down.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
I have used Transtint mixed in sprayed lacquer with good results. The Transtint will also mix with shellac. http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm or Woodcraft.
Preston