Shellac is perma-gelatin

Page 2 of 2
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

Just takes a little corn, some copper pipe... ;)
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:48:56 -0500, Silvan

Check your state laws for making your own alcohol fuel. I believe it's legal in all states now, or was before Ashcroft, et al.
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
I found 99% isopropyl alcohol at printer supply house, check yellow pages. I've used 70% and 91% iso from drug stores in the past also.
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:15:10 -0600, Australopithecus scobis

Warning about the use of slow alcohol - no French polishing!

Hi Ted,
Perhaps pure isopropyl alcohol is water free, but the sort sold at drug stores labeled "Isopropyl Alcohol" is loaded with water.
HTH,
--
Kenneth

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

George, You have gotten a lot of feedback. The advice on the premix is a good way to go IF you are not using the BLOND shellac as your final finish. The premix is decidedly orange, while the blond is more of a light yellow.
It all depends on what you are using it for.
As for your problem, The problem could either have been the shellac or alcohol. I use shellac a lot, in fact almost totally. Unlike others who have responded, I have had shellac take up to two weeks to dissolve. Like you, I got a gel and then slowly the gel dissolved. Use the see it shake it method but be patient, it will very probably finally all dissolve.
Deb
I did find a dewaxed premix called Bullseye Sealcoat which I bought off Rockler, so I'll give that a try - people seemed to think that one was close to blonde, while the non-dewaxed ones appear to be more orange (they call it "amber"). At any rate, it looks like I'll have more than enough shellac one way or another :)
Thanks for your help, George
You must regularly shake or stir the mixture of shellac flakes and alcohol to get the flakes to dissolve. A temperature of 70-80 F is fine, you do not have to warm it above this. Leaving it to sit for days will do nothing for dissolution. All you will get is an softened blob at the bottom of the container. Try shaking it every hour or two. Grinding up the flakes was a good idea to increase surface area but you still must mix it regularly. As for Zinsser's Seal-Coat, it is already a two pound cut of dewaxed shellac. If you like the color, there is no reason not to use it.
Good Luck.