shellac application

How many coats of shellac (white shellac) do I need to apply to get good vapour blocking from MDF underneath?
Do I sand between coats?
Thanks for the help.
Brandt
Depends on how thick you are applying it and how much you've thinned the shellac with alcohol. You don't need to sand except for appearances sake. Shellac will stick to itself quite well, regardless of how glossy it gets.
David
brandt wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (brandt) wrote in

white shellac is used as a primer under one or more paint coats, right? Zinsser BIN product in the US.
Two good coats should suffice. Sand only if you need to level under the topcoat.
Now if we're discussing something else...
Patriarch
On 24 Oct 2004 16:02:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (brandt) wrote:

I've been using two coats of 2lb shellac on my projects. MDF shouldn't make a difference.