Shelf Design

Anyone care to critique either the construction or aesthetic design? BF
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote in

Much too abstract.
John
On 8/22/2015 3:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Got something other than an e-mail address?

The link should take you to a post on A.B.Pictures.Woodworking with a PDF.
On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 2:10:21 PM UTC-5, B...@nowhere wrote:

Don't see no shelf, here! http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/
Sonny
says...

Using what newsreader?
On 8/23/2015 2:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

The link is an e-mail address.
On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 20:47:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

newgroup. The pdf is a drawing, do you not see it? Should be self explanitory. Does not have size, which will be about 4' tall by 6" deep.

Actually it's a Usenet message ID (looks like an email address because of the @ sign at the end).
To me, it doesn't look like a link. Perhaps some newsreaders present message IDs as links, I dunno.
Also, my newsreader doesn't display PDF files, just JPG, GIF, and PNG. I think that's true of most newsreaders.
My suggestion to the OP is he should start over with his question, preferably by actually asking it in words, and either post a picture (not a PDF) in the binaries group, or put his PDF on a web server somewhere.
John
On 8/24/2015 8:55 AM, John McCoy wrote:

But pretty much 100% of newreaders will allow you to save the PDF to disk after which you can use acroread, evince or xpdf to view it.
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in writes:

To be sure, but that's a lot more work. If the OP wants folks to help, he should make it easy for them.
John
On 8/22/2015 4:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

binaries on the services we use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xd5cmwlzjg9xre/CrownedShelf.pdf?dl=0
I can't convert it to a raster file with sufficient resolution to be usable.
On 8/24/2015 5:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Bring the drawing up on you computer. Press the Print Screen Key. Open MS Paint. Paste. Save as JPG. Post to Picassa or Flickr.
On 8/24/2015 6:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

This worked fine. PDF files display automatically with Thunderbird if you have the Adobe Acrobat plugin installed.
As for the design, I like a solid plywood back let into rabbet. I like top and bottom shelf glued into rabbet in the sides, and shelves in between on shelf pins.
Also, unless this is a special purpose bookcase, standard shelves are 12" (11 1/4") and if it is only 4' tall and on the floor, it should have an overhanging table like top, with molding under the over hang.
Other than that, the design shown is OK, just not how I normally would do it.
--
Jack