sharping wood lathe tools

Does anyone know of a jig or some way to sharpen my lathe tools?

Reply to
Raymond D. Hodil Jr.

You'll probably get other opinions on the rec.crafts.woodturning newsgroup.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I do too with their jig. It's a snap!

Reply to
Joe

Have you made the wood block setup jigs yet? Saves a bundle of time when you need to reproduce a fingernail grind.

Here's a picture. Dimension A is the distance from the jig bar to the wheel, dimension B is how much of the gouge extends beyond the jig. Then write the other setup info right on the block (angle settings, which tool it's for, etc).

+----------+ | | | | | | | +---------------------------+ | | | | | | +--------------------------------------+
Reply to
DJ Delorie

All the varieties you could hope for out there. To me that means no "best" way to sharpen. Mine are freehanded to profiles I'm comfortable with for my style of turning. Pays your money and takes _their_ choices.

See Packard, Craftsupplies USA, Woodcraft. Any place lathe tools are sold.

Reply to
George

Funny,and I dont know were I got it from but with chisles and skews I keep the tool stationary and move the stone, that way I can control the angle more easily...mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

I got a set of those small plastic diamond-grit paddle hones, and use them on my gouges. I hold the tool still, and use my thumb to press the paddle against the bevel and rub it (without otherwise holding the paddle anywhere else). The paddle hones are light enough that just the pressure against the bevel is enough to hold them in exactly the right place.

Reply to
DJ Delorie