Shallow Template Bit for Router

I am very surpised that I can't seem to find this bit
I'm looking for a template bit for my router, where the bearing is on the router side of the cutter, and the cutter is less than 1/2" deep
I have a pattern cut into 3/4" MDF, and I want to copy that pattern onto a piece of plywood -- the only thing is, I don't want to cut all the way through the plywood -- just 1/4" down, so I can insert some wood for an inlay. Regular flush-cut bits are simply to deep to do this. (also, I want an exact copy of the pattern -- not something that is 1/4" smaller than the pattern, etc). I would not have pictured this as being that exotic a practice, so I'm perplexed as to why I can't find this bit anywhere
Has anyone seen anything like this?
"John" wrote:

Use existing pattern to make a duplicate from 3/4" MDF, then use the new 3/4" MDF pattern with a standard 1" long pattern bit to copy 1/4" deep cut in plywood..
Lew
Do a search for dado clean out bit.

John wrote:

I think one of these might do:
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept 30
~Mark.
Wow! Good find.
I was going to suggest just using a bushing setup and over or undersizing the pattern depending if it is an inside or outside pattern. Seems bushings have fallen somewhat out of common use no?

Sorry, I read that as diameter, not depth, but these may help you anyway.
Another option would be to add a spacer under your MDF pattern to raise it up so you can use your existing bit. Art

I have such an animal, for exactly that purpose - it's either an Amana or a Whiteside bit, and I can't remember right now which one, but I'm pretty sure it's Amana. The bit depth is 1/4", I think. You ought to be able to find it on their web site - I did.
Tom Dacon
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:37:44 -0700 (PDT), John
http://www.holbren.com/home.php?catf http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_dado.html http://www.acetoolonline.com/category-s/4608.htm
etc.
In 1/4" shank sizes, the cutting length is a short as 1/8". Perhaps one of those would work for you.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Thanks for all the responses. I was looking for this bit because bushings require a special template, and raising the pattern is a pain, and error prone in my experience. The bits suggested by Tom and Woody (there's a joke in there somewhere...) are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.
John