Setting Tile in Bench Top

I am making a small bench for a recently remodeled bathroom . I have designed it to use two left over porcelain floor (11 3/8" x 11 3/8") tiles on the top.
The top is rabbited to accept the tiles and provide direct support from the frame. I have attached a backer board to the bottom to give full support to the tiles.
The question is: what adhesive should I consider using. I have a lot of regular tile adhesive left over from the walls. Would that be the right thing to float into the prepared cavity, or should I be looking at something else?
I plan on using clear silicone to seal around the edges. The tiles do not directly abut each other.
As always, TIA.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Thinset
Dave
Bill Waller wrote:

Got a good bit of that left over too. :-)

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Bill Waller wrote:

Anything that will hold it down (I'm assuming no irregularity in tile bottom or support). The tile adhesive should be fine. __________

Personally, I wouldn't use thinset...the mastic will stick much better to wood than it would.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
Excuse me, but thinset will stick to plywood just fine.
Dave
dadiOH wrote:

To add to my last post: Thinset does not require a concrete base, even though cementicious (sp) board is very popular now as a substrate. There's NO problem using thinset over ply. Been there; done that. I've got a home with a tiled entry that is sitting on top of ply. Very common.
Dave
dadiOH wrote:

except that the water gets pulled out of thinset by the dry wood, leading to poor adhesion.
use mastic, which is designed for use over wood, metal, or drywall. use thinset for cement products.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

Yeah, right, and concrete backer board doesn't wick the moisture. You guys need to get out more. :)
Here's just ONE link:
http://www.boiardiproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_content&subaction=dsp_product
Not that I needed to check the internet for what I already know to be true, but since you aren't going to take my word for it that it's ok to use thin set over ply, I gave you a link.
You can use additives with the thin set, in lieu of water for superior adhesion, water resistance, etc, etc. I always use a latex additive when laying tiles. It goes in the grout, too. Good stuff!
Dave
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Here, Here.
Latex-modified thinset even sticks to formica... trust me, I put granite tile over my previously un-interesting contertops a few weeks ago. Scuffed up the smooth surface with a grinder to get a good mechanical adhesion, and that stuff isn't going anywhere.
~Rob
David wrote:

http://www.boiardiproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_content&subactio n=dsp_product
I didn't say it wasn't OK to use it, just that I *personally* wouldn't. I like to use a resilient adhesive over a resilient surface, a non-resilient one on a non-resilient surface. YMMV.
In the case of the OP, he didn't say if he was putting it over ply or solid wood. If solid wood, it *wouldn't* be OK to use thinset. Not IMO.

I've used regular tile mastic for that very thing a lot of times, and it has always worked well for me.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
To all who responded, thanks. I did not mean to start a battle. Sorry.
A picture of the bench has been posted on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.