Set the shop up first...

Just a suggestion for anyone here who's thinking about moving. When you get to your new place, set up the shop area first. You don't have to unpack your fancy table saw, but do definately unpack most of your hand tools. The reasoning is simple: You'll want those tools in the house.

I've heard all of these since moving: "Where's the tape measure?" "I need a screwdriver." "Got a staplegun?" "We have a putty knife somewhere, do you know where?"

So, by setting the shop up first, you'll have your tools unpacked and be able to provide the tool when it's needed. Not only are you spared a two hour search for a tool you know you own, but you've also got the option of making sawdust after the day is done.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote

Set the shop first.

Sounds like good, practical advice.

That reminds me of the slogan of Pacific Dessert Company.

Eat dessert first, life is uncertain.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Wed, Aug 15, 2007, 6:41am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth breezily state: Just a suggestion for anyone here who's thinking about moving. When you get to your new place, set up the shop area first.

Sounds like advice from a single guy.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

HTF am I going to move, because I _have_ a workshop?

I'm contemplating a 200 mile relocation. It's a great plan, except that the idea of moving the workshop is terrifying. There are whole trees in there! The Alfa Romeo pile! My cast iron machinery! My cast iron machinery that isn't even in my own workshop, but is out on loan to other people so I've got room to work in there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

J T took a can of maroon spray paint on August 15, 2007 12:37 pm and wrote the following:

Last time we moved I loaded a box up with a wide range of hand tools, hammers, screw drivers, pliers, wrenches, tape measure etc., labeled the box "Kitchen Stuff".

My wife was confused when she opened it, but very quickly found the reason why I did it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If only there were some sort of box in which we could place those sorts of tools that we could carry around with us. But, what would we call such a thing?

I normally have my tools up on the wall in the shop, but for a move into the toolbox they go and the toolbox stays with me all the time. Half the time you're going to need them to take something apart or down at the old place and half the time you'll need them to do the opposite at the other end.

Last time we moved the first thing that I did was paint the basement walls and floors where the shop was going before anything got moved in. It was then or never, and it makes a big difference to have white walls in the basement.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Volvo

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Funny how priorities change as you get older ... way back when you were young (also referred to as your "pre-washer/dryer period" and you could still "move" in one or two loads) the very FIRST thing you ALWAYS set up, without fail was:

... the STEREO!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman took a can of maroon spray paint on August 15, 2007 04:38 pm and wrote the following:

I thought they were called a HiFi back then

Reply to
FrozenNorth

My father-in-law passed away 2 months ago. My wife was named the executor of the estate before he passed. In the basement of his house he had a gunsmithing area, a woodworking area, a beading area, and a leatherworking area. Every type of tool imaginable scattered all over that basement. And he was a packrat. We go up there (130 miles one way) on weekends to sort and clean, getting ready for the auctions coming up. Even though I have all of the next of kins permission to use his tools, I still take my tool box up with me because I know where my tools are at all times. And his tools are all over the place. But he knew exactly where every thing was. The first weekend after the funeral that we went up there, all I did was just stand in the basement looking at everything. I want that, and that, and that, and that...If I really want it, I'll bid on it.

note to self: take the tree trimmers with you next time you go.

Reply to
user

Hey, watch who you are calling a maroon!!

Reply to
user

Wed, Aug 15, 2007, 7:52pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (FrozenNorth) stumbled and mumbled: J T took a can of maroon spray paint on August 15, 2007 12:37 pm and wrote the following:

Nope, obviously got me confused with someone else. I'd use yellow. You've probably heard the warning, "Don't eat yellow snow".

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There is a humorist/commentator on public radio here, calls that sort of thing 'ballast'.

I've had the same challenges.

It was, and is, interesting, to watch my father, in his 80's, lightening his load of accumulated stuff.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch