SEMI-OT - E-mails

Today I got an e-mail. From someone about one of my posts on a thread here. NO, don't volunteer who you are. That's happened before, someone e-mailed me, and then volunteered theirself up, while I was trying to be polite and not reveal them.

So, I guess it's time to pass this along again. If I don't know you, I don't care to get e-mail from you. However, I will usually try to be polite about it. BUT, it tends to piss me off when I get an e-mail from someone, with a subject from a thread on rec.woodworking, and nothing to say it's by e-mail only. Then when I hunt down the thread, and check, find out it was by e-mail only. Got one of those today. I was even polite when I replied. Honest. Possibly not by his standards, but by mine. Sometimes not, and sometimes just dump the e-mail, without replying, once in awhile without even reading it. So, today I played nice.

I was addressed in the e-mail like I was the original poster. I wasn't. And, I was passed along a set of plans that I didn't ask for, didn't need, don't want. You know, the exact type of thing that should be posted in the thread, so everyone can get the benefit of the link.

I've said it before, I'll say it again now, I'll probably say it again in the future. IF you're gonna e-mail me, at least have the courtesy to state at the beginning of the e-mail that it's e-mail only, ESPECIALLY if it has a thread subject. There are a few people here, they know who they are, that do e-mail me, very infrequently to be sure, so even if they forget to say that, there's no problem with them, because I KNOW THEM.

Don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

JOAT - I'm surprised you don't get hundreds of undesired emails. I posted here a long time back with a working email address and that account started to get spam instantly. I stopped using that address altogether, and the spam has never stopped.

BTW, I do enjoy your links, and I promise never to email you. JOE

Reply to
JoeTaxpayer

I've gotten a number of emails from people who hit the "reply" button by accident rather than the "reply group" button. It is not to difficult for someone to do this inadvertantly. I'd say this happens to me once every couple months.

-j

I understand that people use bogus email address to limit the amount of junk mail they get, but....

When I take the time and effort to reply to someone's inquiry on a topic, spend my time developing a solid answer and basically try real hard to be helpful only to have my email to them reject is real disappointing and helps me understand that I just don't answer questions anymore. Not that I think that is a great loss to the world, but all of us have different experiences and sometimes when we can offer some help, and it is appreciated.

So in summary, hide behind your bogus email address, not to worry, I won't attempt to respond to any questions any more.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

Some people make an obvious change in their email address, just to avoid the sites that automatically pick up email addresses. That is what I have tried to do. We already had to change email once because of overwhelming spam, even using filters. So be a little patient, look at the address and make obvious changes. Some of us are just barely making it as it is.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Why do you post your email address then? Doesn't make much sense...

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

That's not the way of usenet...if the poster could the question, he/she can certainly come read the answer(s). Plus, there's the benefit of if it's a good answer any number will see it whereas if it's a private e-mail, only one...

So, just answer in the group is the solution--you're feelers aren't hurt, OP (and many others) get their answers.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

(snip)

Sorry, JOAT--it wasn't me, but I don't have the time to try to remember every single person's little quirks. If you don't want email, post it as your sig rather than rely on everyone else's memory.

But it's a hell of a lot better bet than stupidity.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I'm still very much a newbie. I can understand most of the tech talk, but some of the Americanisms puzzle me. But, it's the chance of being discourteous that worries me most. I've tried to find a book of net etiquette but without success. Can anyone please recommend some source of this information? TIA

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Sometimes people just push the wrong button. I use Microsoft entourage and the "reply to sender" is right next to "reply to newsgroup" button. Perhaps they just made a mistake.

Reply to
San Diego Joe

Odd.

If I get an email I assume it was email only as it makes no sense to both send email and to post. In fact I consider it rude to do both as I may take the time to compose and send a reply, only to later learn that the same thing was psoted so that I need to compose and post a reply AGAIN.

If you want to email me to be sure I read your article, just send a quick note about the article.

I expect that'll work for JOAT too.

Reply to
fredfighter

There probably no book that can help with that. Each board has its own personality. Lurk where your interested and post on-topic when you have a question or comment. Better not to top post, I still don't get why, but that's how usenet prefers it. JOE

Reply to
JoeTaxpayer

Assuming you are serious, a goodle search for netiquette gives several sites. There's even an official internet (IETF ) document called RFC1855 (RFC = Request For Comments)

There is even a satire called "Dear Emily Postnews"

is part of the Usenet FAQ pages, See

the list of FAQ's for each newsgroup that has one.

Each newsgroup has it's own flavor, but good manners are universal. One tip. If you describe a lucky break, expect to hear profanity. This is a good thing.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

That is a sort of rash assumption. Some newsreader software automatically sends both an e-mail and a post. I know, stupid software, but people do use stupid software some times.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Such as?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Outlook Express is one, I think. I had to use it for a couple days when my Unix box was down once, and I remember having to go out of my way to make it not send both a post and an e-mail. It might have been another newsreader, but I know I've run across at least one that did that by default.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Why am I not shocked?

Ugh. Another reason to hate The Collective.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Nope. As proof, you will not get an email of this message.

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Outlook Express does not automatically send an email and post.

Neal

Reply to
Neal

Nope. Three options: reply group, reply email, reply all.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski