Semi-OT: Caskets and Leigh

My father is nearing the end of his tenure here. After seeing the Pope's casket - is it too maudlin to wonder if I can justify a D4 for that reason?

If I really wanted to hack my Dad off, I'd use Melamine and Biscuits...

Reply to
patrick conroy

That's something you're going to have to decide for yourself. But, now that you've asked yourself the question, if you don't, you're always going to have some regret that you didn't make a casket. Any guilt you feel for using this reason for buying a D4 will be overwhelmed by the sense of loss you know is going to come, so don't punish yourself ahead of time. Buy the D4 and get to work. Much later after some of the pain has subsided, you'll think fondly of your Dad every time you use the D4.

Reply to
Upscale

"Upscale" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Here's another thought: You want to be really good when it comes time to make that project. You'll need some time to practice, and to learn the tool really well.

How far in advance of your father's passing you build the casket is up to you and to him. If the end is inevitable and close, there may be a sense of comfort to him, in knowing that this will be taken care of, in a loving manner. He may even wish to watch, or otherwise participate in some manner, if he is able.

My mother went quickly, without warning, really. I built a container, for the crematorium, in a period of three days. It did not have handcut dovetails, or fancy joinery, but it filled the purpose of its design. Simple, respectful, and it filled her expressed wish that no frivolous money be spent.

I spent a longer time on the cremains container. My father, still pretty healthy, has asked for a similar model for himself, when the time comes. That's not a commission I'm hurrying.

So it comes down to this: How much time do you have? And how much emotional energy can be applied to this activity?

I wish you, your father, and your family well.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Nothing would be too good for my Dad, but he's pretty frugal. As the eldest son I've been given direction as to his wishes, he's low budget...so that's what we'll go with. So in lieu of that...I'm spending the bucks on him now while we're enjoying one anothers company.

bill

Reply to
Bill Otten

Patrick -

Do it. My mum wanted a plain pine casket - building it took me about 4 days - I finished it *just* in time. The process was cathartic for me and I have gotten a great deal of comfort knowing that part of me surrounds her for all of eternity. No dovetails, just cleats, glue and screws (but none visible from the outside). I didn't get a jig out of the process, but I was able to justify some Loooooong pipe clamps..... For handles, I used 1" thick wall rigid copper water pipe, polished with end caps. I came across a picture of the casket just this afternoon...

My sister and dad came out into the shop and helped as they could, so we all had a hand in the process. For the casket lining, I ran a 1x2 cleat along the sides with a plain white cotton sheet wrapped around it, so it had a more finished appearance. I made a cross out of walnut and put it on the lid, with a maker's mark on the inside of the lid above her heart.

My father, bless his ass, said he DIDN'T want me to build him a casket or a reliquary... he said he wanted "a good one" - he was never much of a diplomat... when his time came, he got a cardboard shipping box and, retort chamber and a simple cremation urn. I did make 3 small keepsake reliquaries for my sisters that contained my father's relics, a snip of my mum's hair, some ammo (for my dad) and an artist's brush (for my mum) I made them out of walnut, and gold leafed the inside of the vessel - all the roads in Heaven are gold....

Whether you get the D4 or not is beside the point, but I'd support you in that... Build him a casket - he helped bring you into this world, you can help transport him to the next.

Heaven's net casts wide Though its' meshes are corse Nothing slips through....

-Lao Tzu-

Three Bows....

Reply to
John Moorhead

"Do-It-Yourself Coffins for Pets and People" by Dale Power.

fredfighter

Reply to
Randy