Scroll Saw,5" Blades, Delta 20 inch

Hi to all:
This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.
I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.
Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes. All kinds of problems. Thought I bought junk.
Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.
Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade. I even like the machine now.
I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea. Has anyone?
Phil S.
Don't know about that particular model but I think you are supposed to leave them "long". You position them in the clamps where you get adequate tension on the blade (either clamp the bottom and push down the top before clamping that one, or the other way around). That way when they wear in that little spot where all the action is you re-position them and get "fresh teeth" (picture how much of the blade is wasted if you only used about an inch or two of it as is typically the case with the "pin" style blades). You might want to try it with taking the tension knob all the way out, clamp and then adjust the knob to get the proper tension.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi to all:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes.&nbsp; All kinds of problems.&nbsp; Thought I bought junk.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in.&nbsp; Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day.&nbsp; This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade.&nbsp; I even like the machine now.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea.&nbsp; Has anyone?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Phil S.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Tom:
Ah-h-h, ahem, Re-position?
You mean as in up and down?
Let me look into that. Don't think my machine works like that, but let me get back to you tomorrow night.
Thanks Tom
Phil S.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi to all:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes.&nbsp; All kinds of problems.&nbsp; Thought I bought junk.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in.&nbsp; Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day.&nbsp; This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade.&nbsp; I even like the machine now.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea.&nbsp; Has anyone?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Phil S.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Tom:
Just getting back to you:
Yes, I can see the advantages of re-positioning the blades for extending the blade life,
However, there is no way in heck that my machine is going to allow re-positioning of any kind. I checked it out, and did some minor dis-assembly and re-assembly to see if something could be done, and there is nothing I could come up with that would allow any re-adjustment or re-positioning.
However, thanks for the thought anyway. If I ever move up from the Hobby class scroll saws, I just might consider your point in looking for an upgrade.
Phil S.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi to all:</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes.&nbsp; All kinds of problems.&nbsp; Thought I bought junk.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in.&nbsp; Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day.&nbsp; This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade.&nbsp; I even like the machine now.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea.&nbsp; Has anyone?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Phil S.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML> ------=
Wouldn't let it influence you unduly. Most have a 1" stroke on the saw, which means you'd have to move it over 1/2" to get to _any_ new teeth. As I tell newbies at school when they break blades, that's why they're sold by the dozen. They're expendable.
phil wrote:

in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

to snip off the blades. The design of the clamps preclude extending the blade past the clamp top or bottom. BTW the plastic tube to the dust blower is in a Z shape on my saw. To prevent the tube from collapsing in the sharp bends, I inserted a spring into the clamp (similar to the spring in a ball point pen, but heavier).
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

Phil,
I do not think that you need to clip the blades. However I do not own that saw. Try posting your question at one of these sites:
http://www.justwoodworking.com /
http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum /
they both have forums dedicated to scroll sawyers, and I am sure many people there uses the same saw as you. You can get the poop straight from the people who use the same saw as you.
hope this helps you,
DUSTY