Scroll Saw,5" Blades, Delta 20 inch

Hi to all:

This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.

I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.

Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes. All kinds of problems. Thought I bought junk.

Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade. I even like the machine now.

I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea. Has anyone?

Phil S.

Reply to
phil

This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.

I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.

Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few minutes. All kinds of problems. Thought I bought junk.

Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost to all the way in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra tension to the blade. I even like the machine now.

I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea. Has anyone?

Phil S.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tom:

Ah-h-h, ahem, Re-position?

You mean as in up and down? =20

Let me look into that. Don't think my machine works like that, but let = me get back to you tomorrow night.

Thanks Tom

This is for Scroll Saw experts out there.

I acquired a 20 inch variable speed Delta Scroll Saw model 40-640.

Didn't seem worth the effort at first, blades snap every few = minutes. All kinds of problems. Thought I bought junk.

Then I noticed that the tension adjustment knob was cranked almost = to all the way in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut = off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in = performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not = like standard 5 inch blades. =20

Now the cuts are smooth, less vibration, and I can even add extra = tension to the blade. I even like the machine now.

I did a google search I cannot find anyone else who tried this idea. = Has anyone? =20

Phil S.

Reply to
phil

problems. Thought I bought junk.

in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

blade. I even like the machine now.

I have the two speed, and yes, I keep a pair of cutters on the saw table to snip off the blades. The design of the clamps preclude extending the blade past the clamp top or bottom. BTW the plastic tube to the dust blower is in a Z shape on my saw. To prevent the tube from collapsing in the sharp bends, I inserted a spring into the clamp (similar to the spring in a ball point pen, but heavier).

Reply to
Gerald Ross

charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tom:

Just getting back to you:

Yes, I can see the advantages of re-positioning the blades for extending = the blade life,=20

However, there is no way in heck that my machine is going to allow = re-positioning of any kind. I checked it out, and did some minor dis-assembly and re-assembly to see = if something could be done, and there is nothing I could come up with = that would allow any re-adjustment or re-positioning.

However, thanks for the thought anyway. If I ever move up from the = Hobby class scroll saws, I just might consider your point in looking for = an upgrade. =20

[...]

Gerald:

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't noticed a problem with the plastic tube wanting to give me a problem. I will keep you suggestion in mind.

Phil S.

All kinds of problems. Thought I bought junk.

all the way in. Long story short: I started to trim, or rather cut off, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch off each blade, and the difference in performance is night and day. This specific machine I have does not like standard 5 inch blades.

tension to the blade. I even like the machine now.

Reply to
phil

Wouldn't let it influence you unduly. Most have a 1" stroke on the saw, which means you'd have to move it over 1/2" to get to _any_ new teeth. As I tell newbies at school when they break blades, that's why they're sold by the dozen. They're expendable.

However, thanks for the thought anyway. If I ever move up from the Hobby class scroll saws, I just might consider your point in looking for an upgrade.

Reply to
George

Phil,

I do not think that you need to clip the blades. However I do not own that saw. Try posting your question at one of these sites:

they both have forums dedicated to scroll sawyers, and I am sure many people there uses the same saw as you. You can get the poop straight from the people who use the same saw as you.

hope this helps you,

DUSTY

Reply to
Dusty Workshop