scroll saw?

are scroll saws useful? i was wondering what they were used for that a band saw couldnt do.
thanks
Ah10201 wrote:

One of the more important differences is that they can be used to cut curves of much smaller radius.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

One thing a scroll saw can do that a band saw can't (unless you want to cut your blade and re-weld it!) is make inside cuts. You can thread the blade thru a hole drilled in the work piece. You can make very intricate cuts with a scroll saw, but the thickness of wood you can cut is limited. Many scrollers end up buying a band saw to resaw stock to scrolling thicknesses.

Inside cuts. You can drill a small hole, shove your scroll saw blade through.
Places where I may need a very small kerf.
I use the scroll saw a lot to make patterns that I can follow with a bearing router bit.
I have used mine to make puzzles for the kids.
Scroll saw blades can turn on a .... point, if you have the right blade. a Band saw will always need some radius to turn in. The finest band saw blade will not turn a corner as tight as a scroll saw.
Kids can use a scroll saw. they are safer than a band saw.
hey, get a cheap Delta, see for yourself. I think bLowes has them on sale for like 40 bucks. Than glue a photo on to a thin hunk of wood, and freehand cut yourself a jig saw puzzle. Kinda fun, the first few times.
-Dan V.