SCREWS

You can make your own with a tap and die set. Cut left-handed threads in half of a rod and right-handed in the other half. You can make the bearings. I'm told it's easy (though I've never done it

Reply to
Jon Franklin

Well, yeah... I could make my own nails, too. Wouldn't even need a tap and die. But I have better things to do with my time, and if I need handmade nails for a specific use I have a brother who's a blacksmith.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Why bother to make anything? Do what the rest do, help China's economy.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall

On your last point, see

On your first...

My point was that I make what it pleases me to make, unique things I can takke pride in that are not readily available. If I need custom hand-made nails, I'm not going to make them, I'll get my blacksmith brother to do that. But make screws? Unlikely when I can get cheap ones (if the application calls for cheap ones) locally in bulk. For quality, where needed, there are sources like McFeeleys.

You may feel it's a good use of your time to make your own screws, and I have no argument with that, nor will I say you're wasting your time. I can't judge that.

But making screws is a waste of *my* time.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

He wasn't asking you to make any. I do agree though To each his own.

Bernard R

Reply to
Bernard Randall