Screw box (SFW)

Has anyone had any luck making their own screw box?
Thanks,

No, but they looked easy enough to build when Roy showed how to do it. Have you seen that episode of the Woodwright's Shop?
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2704.html
Puckdropper

Puckdropper says...

I watched it a couple of times. I'm not 100 percent sure I will have success making that cutter.
No but I just bought a used set like sold by Garrett Wade- a 3 piece set. Have not actualy cut any threads, but looked at it today. Don't know if the wooden box has shrunk with age- but I have to cut my dowel a little smaller than 1/2 inch to feed it into the screw box. Will do some experiments and see just what will fit.
I have some mesquite that should make nice threads and nuts.
I have been reading on the Net about using mineral oil as a lubricant, Will see what happens Anne

@mindspring.com says...

I saw where I can buy a tap and box for 30 dollars (plus shipping). That's probably the route I will go.
Thanks,

Hope they have a satisfaction guaranteed return policy. The Beall master threading set that Lee Valley Tools sell is $145.00 http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pA791&cat=1,43000

I used to make 1&1/8" glue blocks for the lathe using a regular tap. No problems at all. All you need is the tap and the appropriate size drill.

to be.

Time to dig out that micrometer that has been hiding in my shop for the past few years,
Back to taps and dies for wood, Did some more messing aroud today and a 9/16 drill bit was just the right size to use with a 1/2 inch tap. Made one perfect nut out of maple.
Tomorrow inten to tackle the process of turning a 1 inch square piece of scrap maple into a dowel that will go through the undersize hole to make the threaded piece.