Scotia sawmill being deconstructed

Page 1 of 2
North Cal Recycled Products Division is in the process of deconstructing Mill B at the Pacific Lumber Company/ PALCO in Scotia California. This was the world's oldest and largest redwood sawmill. Mill B was originally opened in 1910 and it was modified many times in the intervening years but was still known as the the "world's largest sawmill".
Pictures at http://tinyurl.com/4gvjm
It was probably suspect to cause cancer.

OK Leon, I give- what wonderous state do you call home? It must be A LOT nicer than California and the people there must be "normal" and not the millions of lunatics that have ended up in California. You must have gorgeous beaches to walk on, trails through redwoods to hike on and incredible mountain slopes to ski down, not to mention smoke-free restaurants to dine in, some of the best in the world I might add. Or perhaps where you live you can drive to work through vineyards that produce grapes from which world-class wines are made. No? Well that's a shame. Of course you're always welcome to come out here and visit us in the land of fruit and nuts.

I guess you saw me going to work. ;~)
"Leon" wrote in message ...

I suspect he saw you at your favourite fishing hole, listening and watching as the bait was carefully wound, aim taken, then Whirrrrrrrrr......
hehe
Greg
I used to go to Eureka for business and visited the mill last in 2000. Man was it impressive! I'm sorry to see it go. Spotted owl country!
Dave

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (edfan) wrote in

We used to visit that mill whenever we went camping in Northern California when I was a kid, about every other year. Went there last about 6 years ago or so. It was the BEST industrial tour, bar none, I have ever been to. The hydraulic barker would blast chunks of bark as big as a small boy right up against the viewing window. The barker operator would turn an flip the logs to give access to the hydraulic spary head and the whole building would thump like an earthquake. They still had a log carriage powered by an truck engine when last I visited. Although they had lasers to help the first sawyer cut the flitches, the gang saw operator had only his eyes and ten fingers to operate twelve gang saws. He was setting the saws to cut two or three boards early, and was standing off the ends of the planks, so he couldn't line up the saws with the planks. There was a finger-jointing machine which made continous lengths of clear redwood, just like the paintable trim you get at the Borg. The last time I was there redwood had gotten so valuable that they had a guy trimming the bad finger joints off of goofs so they could run them back through the machine. The pieces were as short as 6"! I remember them cutting 8' diameter logs when I was young. They were still getting some 5' logs when I was there last.
Man, this makes me a bit sad.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:22:27 +0000, Hitch wrote:

I'm not sure I can put my hands on it now, but somewhere I have a little piece of redwood, probably 1/8" thick, with the tour information stamped on it. We'd drive from the Bay Area to Portland to see relatives, and stopped in Scotia once. I remember the machinery only vaguely.
I've thought a few times since my 2-year-old was born (the kid can identify woodworking tools on sight and imitate their sounds, if any), that we'd both probably enjoy that tour. Guess we weren't going to get the chance, given that the mill went out of service before he came into service.
Sigh.
I think I'll go home and show him my Millers Falls 770, just to hear him say, "Brace and bit! Brace and bit!"

That was the ticket to the mill tour. You'd go to the museum, itself built of redwood logs, and pick up your ticket for the self-directed tour. I have one in my desk at home.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"
On 7 Oct 2004 10:12:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (edfan) calmly ranted:

Wow, look at the size of those bandsaw blades! 12" x 75' or so? Bottom right pic in the 5th set, just to the right of the sweet, young Lady in Red. ;)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:11:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
|On 7 Oct 2004 10:12:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (edfan) calmly |ranted: | |>North Cal Recycled Products Division is in the process of |>deconstructing Mill B at the Pacific Lumber Company/ PALCO in Scotia |>California. This was the world's oldest and largest redwood sawmill. |>Mill B was originally opened in 1910 and it was modified many times in |>the intervening years but was still known as the the "world's largest |>sawmill". |> |>Pictures at http://tinyurl.com/4gvjm | |Wow, look at the size of those bandsaw blades! 12" x 75' or so? |Bottom right pic in the 5th set, just to the right of the sweet, |young Lady in Red. ;)
We toured here once and after seeing the sharpening room for these blades it would hard to argue that bandsaw mills waste less lumber than a circular saw [g]. They have some serious teeth on those babies.
On our first trip we tried to get a room at the Scotia Inn
(http://scotiainn.com/new/main.shtml )
but they were full. On our next time up the coast, we made it a point to get a reservation there. What a neat place. The food was wonderful and the staff knows its stuff. I hope they don't "deconstruct" the inn too.
On 7 Oct 2004 10:12:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (edfan) wrote:

Deconstructing? What ever happened to good old-fashioned English, like "demolishing", or "tearing down", or "removing".
What's next, morticians "debirthing" people who have "de-lifed"?
(edfan) wrote:

Hey, it's California - remember ;)

Well, there's the story about Beethoven, in his tomb,
erasing pieces of paper.
Big pieces, little pieces, all sorts of pieces.
Somebody opens the lid, looks in, and asks "Hey, Beethoven! whatcha doin?"
The reply:
"de-composing"
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:01:16 -0700, Mark & Juanita

<illumination>
Demolish: blow it down; wreck it; scrap it.
Deconstruct: take apart to save components for recycling.
</illumination>

De finitely.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:35:53 -0700, Larry Jaques

<standard clear usage>
salvage: Take apart and recover re-useable components for recycling
</standard clear usage>
SNIP

SNIP
I have always wondered if you programmer types realize how silly that <start the program> </end the program> stuff looks to everyone else. I guess that it should be expected that communicating on a computer based medium would mean that there are a disproportionate percentage of folks in the programming world here, but after the first few thousand times you see that, the humor escapes. As an accountant I usually don't do a lot of debiting or crediting or use a lot of T-accounts in my newsgroup postings, but if I did I expect most of you would find that annoying and silly (not to mention meaningless).
Just a silly pet peeve of mine I guess. ;)
Dave Hall
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:01:16 -0700, Mark & Juanita
Jacques Derrida, that's what.
Who himself was today "deconstructed"

Chalk up another good company destroyed by Hurwitz.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Hurwitz?