SCMS Technique Question

OK - This may be a little weird question. Im looking into getting a SCMS - Ive seen it used a bit on a few shows on TV. Ive seen people use them 2 different ways :
1. W/ the wood in place - slide the saw all the way towards you - pull the trigger - plunge it thru the wood then push it towards the back thru the wood.
and
2. W/ the wood in place - pull the trigger - plunge it thru the wood and pull it towards you.
Which way is the correct way?? Or does it not really matter???
Just curious b/4 I get one and accidently lop a limb off.
Thanks -Rob

That's right.

That's "wrong".

JP
For an SCMS,
1. is right. 2. is wrong
Although not to confuse a SCMS with a Radial Arm Saw. If it is a radial arm, then number 2 is the correct method.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------
One of the slight advantages a SCMS has over a radial arm saw is that you make the cut while pushing the blade away from you. If you cut while pulling towards you, the blade can dig into the piece and jerk the blade towards you. Mark L.
Rob V wrote:

No more so than a RAS. Either way should be alright.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Well actually it is more likely than a RAS. With the RAS the blade is at a predetermined height and will not elevate from that height unless you make a mechanical adjustment. With a SCMS your hand holds the blade down. If the blade is pulled towards you the blade can grab the wood like a RAS but also the blade can lift, unlike a RAS, and travel across the top of the board you are cutting.
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:02:21 GMT, "Leon"

Hmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that aspect.

Trust me, the RAS can do it, too, DAMHIKT. However, the odds are considerably lower, I expect.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

LOL... Yeah, It happened to me a time or two... I am not quite sure what gives because on paper it is not suppose to happen. I suspect the arm and post twist up at the base frame along with the blade probably bending a little to one side.
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 02:20:23 GMT, "Leon"

Having to do a realignment afterwards suggests to me that the table and its supports got pushed down. That would account for a good part of it.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
[snip]

and keep your pants buttoned...     j4    :-o