Scam Or Real??

I did ask for payment in advance of shipping and all shipping to be paid by the buyer. Will let you know how it turns out, if anything happens.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Don't need to have a copy. You can do that right off the web.

`Casper

Reply to
Casper

Morris Dovey was heard to mutter:

From the above message, try going to

typing in the IP address you want to look up. In this case I would lookup 98.136.4.51 which is the first IP in the sequence.

You don't need to install anything on your computer. You can do a look up of various things from that website. Check it out for yourself. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Chances are they are going to send you a counterfeit or stolen check or money order that will bounce. You can be sure it is a SCAM.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yuppers - there are a number of sites offering look-up via an http (browser) interface. Generally, they've been a PIA for me because of waits for ad servers, lousy response during high traffic, limited number of queries allowed, ad-tracking cookies, etc.

I've come to prefer a direct access to a single-purpose server because I do a lot of lookups, hate waiting, and hate even more needing to clean out ad tracker cookies.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I am sure it is a scam, but!! I have gotten several bogus checks and a couple of stolen credit cards in the past. My favorite was one for an item for sale on Craig's list. Two bogus checks with appropriate e-mails to go with them and one check for

3900 dollars with no information on what to do with it or why it was sent to me, all overnighted and of course all sent on stolen credit cards
Reply to
sweet sawdust

Easy solutions.

Open an account specifically for wire transfers with a "zip" balance which gets closed out in 30 days.

Use PayPal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Several years ago, I was a new customer to a mill in KY. They required a wire transfer as payment prior to shipping my first purchase of a load of Appalacian hardwoods. That is my only experience with wire transfers but I do not recall their account number being revealed to me as part of the transaction. If memory serves, the transfer was from my bank to some bank in Kentucky "For Benefit Of" the recipient. The final destination account number was and is unknown to me.

A bank to bank wire transfer should be perfectly safe and secure for both parties involved. If anyone has contradictory information, please post it.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Scam or not, I just wonder if we wasted as much spammers time as is possible by stringing them along with long replies, would it make a difference? Whenever telemarketers call me, I string them along as long as is possible. If we make telemarketing less productive/profitable maybe some of them would stop. Then again, maybe it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in the long run.....

Reply to
mm

CW

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Much more effort than I would put into it. But very funny.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Sorry to hear. I've never had to wait for anything on whatismyip.com.

I understand. I deal everyday with people who get "click" happy and have no idea what they just allowed to their computer. Better to air on the side of caution than to inadvertently allow things access.

I spend most of my time assessing internal and external networking holes, threats, viruses and other security risks. Sometimes it is not possible, or even prudent, to install anything on a client's computer. On these occasions, trusted web tools are very valuable.

I merely wanted to point out for sweet sawdust, that for use a couple of times, it's better to not install unused or rarely used software and add potential for other system problems. Less is best theorem.

`Casper

Welcome to USEnet. Please adjust your reality.

Reply to
Casper

Dave Balderstone