SCA ARMOUR

Page 1 of 2

http://www.brotherguido.com/armor/default.htm
I don't see any reason you couldn't make your own out of maybe 1/8" plywood, they give the sizes, and looks like the lacing instructions are complete enough. Plastic? Bah.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews
J T wrote:

But how well would plywood work? Seems to me that it would be pretty brittle for that particular use.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus wrote:

And you were on about how making a door header too strong would cause high point stresses?
Take a hammer, wang on a piece of 1/8" ply supported by string tied to holes in the corners for a while, let us know how you make out. Talk about high point stresses.
If you study the history of Japan you will find that those rattan sticks properly handled are quite dangerous.
It's becoming clear that you just like to argue.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:36:43 -0400, "J. Clarke"

That wasn't me, fella. I missed a part about the application because I was skimming, but I was the guy that said the OP should make sure he had the right material, as he didn't seem sure what he was doing. All I saw was the bit about making a "beam" and I somehow got it into my head that he might be trying to make a hoist. FWIW, a building collapsing becuase of poor engineering is liable to kill a guy- a piece of plywood splintering on your chest (or other body part) because you intentionally let someone hit you with a stick is likely to just hurt a lot and get somebody teased a bit. Different levels of caution certainly apply in my mind.

Well sure, if a trained person is using one. Somehow I doubt that plastic would do a whole lot better in that case then anyhow.

Well, that *is* largely true. I do enjoy argument- but at least I try to keep things in context and on-topic, which is more than you can say for a lot of folks in a lot of venues.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Fri, Apr 29, 2005, 6:35am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) said: IIRC, the SCA doesn't use actual swords for re-enactment, they use rattan sticks. Plywood might work okay for that. And, of course, it would work great for walking around Rennaisance fairs and the like.
Wouldn't be any worse then people walking around in imitation chain mail, made bu painting knitted sweaters with aluminu paint. I've heard that's done often enough.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews
Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood wouldn't hold up at all. A 3/4" plywood shield is pretty much disposable - it'll last *maybe* a season of fighting. We're really hitting each other - 12 gauge helmets dent eventually, 14 and 16 gauge dents pretty much immediately. 1/8" plywood wouldn't even last one practice. Also, the plastic is made (or at least it can be) to look like 'period' materials - that would mean laquered steel or leather that has been waxed or boiled for stiffness. Plywood would look terrible. Avraham huscarl, Calontir (that means I'm a "don't screw with him, it'll hurt" sort of fighter from the middle of the country)
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:49:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Avraham wrote:

If you want something that is probably less than 1/2 the weight of a piece of 3/4" ply and can't be penetrated by a copper jacketed .357 mag, contact me off list.
I'll tell you how to make one.
Lew
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 04:56:51 GMT, Lew Hodgett

and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield. :) Avraham
: Thanks, but that's OK. Most of our shields are made of T6 aluminum, : and some of us (like me!) are moving to shields made of the same : materials as originally used, which brings us back to the actual : subject of the newsgroup. I bought a Grizzly 14" bandsaw and riser : block so I could resaw basswood (pretty much the same as European : Linwood, if not exact) and make a two-layer laminated shield. :) : Avraham
Doesn't basswood dent like crazy? It's a pretty soft wood.
    -- Andy Barss
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:25:59 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

1100 years ago (the time the equipment I'm reproducing is from ). It actually holds up surprisingly well - the only problem my first one is having is the steel rim is coming off. I need to use a different style. Avraham
Wed, Apr 27, 2005, 10:06pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com (Avraham) says: Well, speaking as a guy who has been fighting for 22 years, plywood wouldn't hold up at all. <snip>
My Gods, I'm getting sucked back in the group, I post, then see a thread, and post a response. Aaach.
Speaking as a guy who ain't about to go around letting people beat on me without trying to give them some serious damage in return, I never figured anyone would wear them to get beat on in. Personally, before I would run around letting people beat on me, I'd make myself some real armour, including a "real" helmet, out of good quality steel, stuff able to take repeated hits from a real sword, and hold up. Even better, would be standing back with a trusty catapult, and buckets of hot sand. Hehehe
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:18:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

a practical amount of money, anyway) make a helmet that won't dent eventually and still be able to wear it and move your head around.
I'll admit, it's not a hobby for everyone. On the other hand, we're really trying NOT to hurt each other - the person on the other side of the field is a friend and opponent, not an enemy. Avraham
Thu, Apr 28, 2005, 6:56am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@yahu.com (Avraham) claims: I *do* wear a real helmet, made of good quality steel. You can't (for a practical amount of money, anyway) make a helmet that won't dent eventually and still be able to wear it and move your head around. I'll admit, it's not a hobby for everyone. On the other hand, we're really trying NOT to hurt each other - the person on the other side of the field is a friend and opponent, not an enemy. Avraham
Well, I won't try to prove it, but I've got an idea or two for a helmet that would hold up, and not be excessively heavy. Thing is, I'd be more worried about my brain churning around, from getting hit in the head, than the helmet denting.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews
You guys want light weight, sword proof armour? Here's some that pretty well guarantees the wearer isn't gonna get hurt by a sword. This is more along my type of thing.
http://www.chainmail.com/chainmall/imagenew/ts7.jpg
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews

what absorbs the energy
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 05:21:35 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg

required..." There actually isn't a minimum by rule, but practially the helmets weight about 12+ pounds. Avraham
J T wrote:

While steel plate armor has its advantages, it's also heavy and unless it's very carefully crafted it impedes your motion. If you're not both in very good condition and practiced at performing acrobatics in armor, once they get you down you're done for.
A good, fitted suit of plate armor today costs thousands of dollars. Making it yourself might be an interesting exercise, but if you get to where you can make some that you can actually fight in you may find that you can make more as an armorer than you do in your day job. Bear in mind that if it's not fitted right it can damage you all by itself when it takes a blow.
And I think you'll find that lamellar armor works very nicely. The Samurai certainly seemed to think so. The plastic plates would be a viable substitute for boiled leather lamellae IMO, and boiled leather was surprisingly effective against "real swords".
By the way, don't assume that the bokken is not a "real sword". How many swordmasters with steel swords did Musashi kill with one?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Apr 28, 2005, 8:11am snipped-for-privacy@snet.net.invalid (J.Clarke) sayeth: While steel plate armor has its advantages, it's also heavy and unless it's very carefully crafted it impedes your motion. <snip> And I think you'll find that lamellar armor works very nicely. <snip> By the way, don't assume that the bokken is not a "real sword". How many swordmasters with steel swords did Musashi kill with one?
I didn't say "plate" armor. When I said "real sword" I meant one with a steel blade and a sharp edge and point.
As far as swordsmanship, there was a Roman who fought duels, and killed his opponents (who had real swords), using a lead sword. Forgot his name, and am not gonna look it up. People capable of things like that are exceptions to the rule, and probably nutters.
JOAT A highbrow is a person educated beyond his intelligence. - Brander Matthews
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:18:23 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Heh, JOAT, I never appreciated you until just now. :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam