Sawdust > Filler

Sorry if this questions been around, I can't go back too far...

I remeber that I used to make a utility wood filler from the right color sawdust and glue. Now I need some more, and I have the sawust/sanding dust exactly the right color, but I need to identify a glue that will accept a finish - probably some type of oil. Can anyone give me some help?

thanks.

Reply to
Donna Brandt

Use whatever finish you plan to use as a binder.

Reply to
dadiOH

Franklin Hide glue.

Reply to
Steve Turner

If you're just using a clear finish, like an oil, lacquer or poly - then use

5 minute epoxy. Once sanded out and finished it well blend in well. I use this for small knot holes and voids all the time. For a small hole just use a cyanoacrylate glue. Put the glue in the hole and literally sand over the surface to drive dust into the glue for filler and color. If it's a deep hole, I use Z-Poxy. Much thinner and can be run slowly into the hole and eliminate air pockets.

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

...clear epoxy works well, also...

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Z-Poxy is a brand of epoxy, sold by Zap. I love Zap epoxies and CA. There are several formulations of Z-Poxy, not all are that thin.

Are you using the Finishing Resin by chance?

A great way to get any epoxy to flow better is to warm it slightly before mixing.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yeah, you're right. It's the finishing resin. Got turned on to it by a guitar builder who uses it as a pore filler for the guitar body (sides and back). After playing around with it, realized it was a perfect filler for knots and holes because of how thinly it flowed. Works really well for deeper knots without trapping air pockets inside.

Reply to
Gary A in KC

It's fantastic stuff! I originally used it for fuel proofing model aircraft engine compartments. It's also really cool when brushed on fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth.

What lots of folks don't know is that most epoxies can be thinned to a similar consistency with a dot of denatured alcohol.

Reply to
B A R R Y

About 5% is the max without adversely affecting physical properties.

The basic blending of the resin is when you establish the viscosity of epoxy resin by chose of diluents used in the blend.

As you noted in an earlier post, viscosity of epoxy resin is highly temperature dependant.

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett