Saw Stop demo with a real hand

Just saw a new show "Time Warp" (I think on Discovery or Science network).

The hosts go around with an amazing high speed camera capturing all sorts of events. Explosions, fire eating, skateboarding,etc. have been some of the things I saw. But the latest show had the inventor of Saw Stop demonstrating the saw.

At first, he used the famous hotdog trick. The hosts then said that he had to do a real hand and he agreed. He used his finger and of course, it worked. Interesting before he touched the blade, he soaked his hand in water (I think it was ice water). I guess to make sure his hand was wet and cold?

The show repeats alot, so catch it if you can.

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

I didn't see it. If it was ice water, I'm guessing that the purpose was to force blood away from the surface of the hand so even the small nick that the SS leaves wouldn't bleed much. I mean, you're gonna bleed even if it works, albeit just a little, but why would you want to show blood if you're demonstrating how well the thing works?

my $1/50, your opinion may vary, etc etc.....

jc

Reply to
joe

I just saw (no pun intened) the Time Warp episode.

2 comments:

1 - Blood

The inventor did the hot dog demo first and it didn't even appear to nick the skin, so I don't know if there would have been blood had it been his finger.

2 - When the inventor did use his finger, he approached the blade from the side with the pad of his middle finger - not the way you or I would normally contact the blade in actual use. I'm not about to run downstairs and see if I can touch the sides of the teeth on my saw, but I think the SawStop is much less likely to nick the pad coming in from the side than it would if the side of your thumb was coming straight into the teeth.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just saw (no pun intened) the Time Warp episode.

2 comments:

1 - Blood

The inventor did the hot dog demo first and it didn't even appear to nick the skin, so I don't know if there would have been blood had it been his finger.

2 - When the inventor did use his finger, he approached the blade from the side with the pad of his middle finger - not the way you or I would normally contact the blade in actual use. I'm not about to run downstairs and see if I can touch the sides of the teeth on my saw, but I think the SawStop is much less likely to nick the pad coming in from the side than it would if the side of your thumb was coming straight into the teeth.

Never having seen a Sawstop, I don't know exactly how it functions but it is electrical. Soaking his hand in water was to increase conductivity. So, if you are going to try to hurt yourself with a Sawstop, make sure you wet your hands first.

Reply to
CW

Yes, he touched the blade with his finger, but I wouldn't consider it to be a real test. If you noticed, he slowly approached the blade with his finger, so even if it didn't work, all he would have gotten was a small nick. A real test would have been having him cut a piece of wood at normal speed with his finger in the way. But also doing so would have been a higher risk.

Reply to
J. Cochran

Also, if the wood was unnoticeably damp in places it would trip the mechanism and then there would be the expense of replacing the device. Anyone who is that careless in the shop in the first place better give up woodworking.

Reply to
Dave

According to the Sawstop web site:

"5. Will cutting green or ?wet? wood activate the SawStop safety system?

SawStop saws cut most wet wood without a problem. However, if the wood is very green or wet (for example, wet enough to spray a mist when cutting), or if the wood is both wet and pressure treated, then the wood may be sufficiently conductive to trigger the brake. Accordingly, the best practice is to dry wet or green wood before cutting by standing it inside and apart from other wood for about one day. You can also cut wet pressure treated wood and other conductive material by placing the saw in bypass mode."

Nova

"Dave" wrote in news:ZqjWk.6756$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

Wouldn't it be just as safe to have the blade disappear into the saw and not stop it cold? At the speed a saw blade spins, all but the most dull blades are going to cut through something and not pull something in.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I will be impressed ONLY if he uses his dick. Now THAT would show some trust in his product.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

I will be impressed ONLY if he uses his dick. Now THAT would show some trust in his product.

************************

Not THAT would be impressive. Considering how far the blade is from the front of the tablesaw.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You mean you can't reach?

Reply to
CW

ROTF

Reply to
Robatoy

[I'm gonna regret this, but...]

Some peoples' table saw infeed tables are longer than others'

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Probably would depend on the feed rate as well as a shirt sleeve becoming entangled in the spinning blade. I imaging the Saw Stop designers have thought about that and would not go the extra step in both engineering and cost if they did not have a reason.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We know, we know. Infeed tables should not be any shorter than Obama's dick. . . . . . . . That way we can REALLY rip some frickin' LUMBAH!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

Not after I dipped it in ice-water.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t11g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, mine shrinks down to the size of a stack of dimes... about thirty cents worth.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

Nope...it works perfectly fine with dry skin. If you know of a place with a sawstop, you can try it out. With the motor off but the electrical system in "test" mode, you can touch the blade with items and see if it would trigger the safetey feature.

I'm inclined to think the ice was for numbing (so he didn't flinch?) , to drive the blood away from the surface, or possibly both.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The energy transferred from the spinning blade as it slams into the brake is actually what causes it to drop so fast. Conservation of angular momentum and all that...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Elrond Hubbard wrote in news:Xns9B605C0B5F317oldshoe@

216.151.153.22:

That gets a 15 yard penalty for over-sharing.

Reply to
Han