sanding molding

How can I sand molding on a door to remove the paint that's on it. The molding is pretty detailed. Thanks
On 5 Jul 2004 15:50:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rock.com (topdog) wrote:

getting paint off of moldings is a pain. it's gonna involve some combination of scrapers that you make that match the shapes of the molding, heat in the form of hot air from a heat gun or careful use of a propane torch, chemical strippers and sanding. all of these have their disadvantages- for instance it's difficult to avoid rounding the edges with sandpaper. getting good results can be frustrating and slow.
if you can remove the moldings and replace them with new it's often worth doing.
On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:18:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

A step in he right direction. I live in an almost century house. io removed all of th wood [carefully], took it outside, across two supports, and removed all the old varnish with TSP, scrubbing, and then washing it off with water. Paint remover is good too.
Getting back on pre-painted is also an advantage. Don't wait too long to fill, sand and paint over the nail-hole filler.
Bill.
On 5 Jul 2004 15:50:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@rock.com (topdog) wrote:

With these: <http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page 183&category=1,42500&ccurrency=2&SID=>
They work GREAT!
Barry
Have you looked into having it dip stripped??? I've never done it, but it seems to be a decent alternative --->sometimes<---. But a couple of caveats are that it may be harmful to the glue joints and the wood itself. Even after dip striping, there is still some residual paint but a lot less than you started with. I'm sure if someone in the Wreck has had bad experiences you'll hear about it. Mark L.
topdog wrote:

L.
When I bought my first house the front door was a moonscape of layers of pitted coats of paint. I took it in and had it 'dip stripped'. All the paint was removed, but it left the surface as hairy as a coconut (well, not quite, but it was fuzzy as hell). So I still had a lot of sanding to do. This was in 1973, maybe the chemicals are less harsh now.