Ryobi cordless 18v circular saw

Just saw one at HD for $79 with battery and charger. Are these decent to have around the house, and is this a good price?? Thanks.

Reply to
jack

I use mine all the time. Of course it is too feeble for more than a few

2x4s or an occasional cut plywood cut, but I do that frequently and it is much easier than pulling out a corded saw.

One battery? You can do better on Ebay, especially if you don't need the charger. Of course, there is no risk at HD.

Reply to
toller

The battery will dies on you after 12 to 18 months. If that is OK ($50) it is a handy saw to h ave.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

HD currently has the Ryobi 18V batteries, two for 39.97.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Rob Mills

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:47:47 -0400, "jack" calmly ranted:

I got the 14.4v drill and saw combo with two batteries, case, and charger for $99. You'll only get about 5 minutes work out of each battery for the circular saw, but it cuts nicely and is easy to use. Figure on replacing batteries at 2 years. That's when mine started dying. I picked up an Ebay replacement pack for $25 + $10 s/h and it's full power again.

I love the drill, complete with 2 levels, and use it weekly if not daily.

All told, I'd do it again.

-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience --------------------------------------------

- Web Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just got rid of my Ryobi cordless saw and bought a Milwaukee cordless. The reason I got rid of the Ryobi is that it was very underpowered and could not cut a full sheet of 3/4 plywood without at least two battery changes. Ditto for the Ryobi recip saw, limited run times vs battery charges. I guess the Ryobi stuff is ok for the very occasional user but when you are in the middle of a project and have to wait for a new battery charge, it just plain gets frustrating. BTW, no problems with the Milwaukee saws with their 2.4AH batteries.

Reply to
Mike

It's junk. Won't last through more than a single cut on a sheet of plywood or a few 2x4's. Move up to a Milwaukee. Mine goes and goes like the Energizer bunny.

Bob

Reply to
bob

I paid $89 about a year and a half ago. I would have been ahead of the game if I'd just thrown the cash into the paper shredder. The saw itself does hold attraction via price and mobility but it's total battery hog -- and that makes it next to worthless (except as an awkwardly-sized paper weight). Even with a better blade than the stock one installed, it would take two fully-charged batteries to rip just 8-feet of

3/4" borg-quality plywood.

-- Steve

Steve

For around the house, buy a corded model. For out in the middle of nowhere with no electrical service around it will get you out of a bind.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
Rob Mills

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Rob Mills

I bought one of those 18 volt Ryobi combo packs (Drill, Circular saw, Recripocating saw) and have used it extensively for three years. If you plan to infrequent cuts of small amount the convenience is great. For larger projects, the corded saw is necessary.

My Ryobi batteries have done better than the Makita that I owned previously.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline