Ryobi AP10

A friend has a used Planer for sale. We don't know the original cost, nor do we know what a fair and reasonable price would be. Any idea? Thanks Ron

Reply to
Rebel (Ron)

Depends on condition. Some of these were pretty darned good old machines. Problem is the newer ones are getting bigger and bigger so smaller capacity is not all that desirable.

I would think a good one, that hasn't been run to death, would be worth at least $100. Any one else think its is worth more?

By the way, are knives available and at what price - or do you have to go to aftermarket? Ryobi hasn't done a very good job of supporting some of their customers in this respect and the aftermarket knives for the 12-5/16 machines are HIGH!

Reply to
RonB

Sounds about right. BTW, mine still runs great, but I'd probably qualify as a "light" user. If I've run more than a couple of thousand board feet through it (multiple passes, of course), I'd be surprised. Might even be more like one thousand.

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I did replace a set of 6" jointer knives a while back and they were pretty much a standard commodity. IIRC, 10" blades were usually listed along with the 6".

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Bought one this past Jan. 100 bucks. Pretty good shape. Freud has replacement blades. price ???

Reply to
Rick Samuel

One could always search eBay for completed auctions.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Ya know that the AP10 was the first (late 80's?) lunch box/porty planer, don't you? Back in the day there wasn't much to be chosen from when the hobbyist wooddorker wanted to make wood smooth and parallel both sides. In fact finding a planer in anyone's basement/garage shoppe was way rare.

As for original cost, it was about $350-$400 depending on the retailer.

I'll leave it to you to determine fair and reasonable.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Portable planers have come so far in the last twenty years I am not sure I would want one of the early ones. Snipe is an especially noticeable problem with these light duty machines. Several have gone to 4 post design and locks on each post to eliminate snipe. There are other improvements worth studying. I owned a Delta about 10 years ago and it sniped no matter what I did. max

Reply to
max

I don't know about the AP10 but I have owned the 12-5/16" since mid to late

90's and, other than inattention with long stock, snipe has not been a problem. I went through a little knife-price crisis a couple of months ago and then found out that a Delta knife works.

For a person wanting to smooth stock at a budget price $100 or so should be a bargain. I tried to sell an old 70's vintage Craftsman table saw this summer for a long time. The guy who eventually bought it was a trim/finish carpenter. His main criteria was that it work well, and it was light enough that he could singlehandedly tip it up into an upside-down position in the bed of his pickup. We loaded it right beside on old AP-12.

Reply to
RonB

Yes, that is a problem. My AP10 snipes 2" on each end. I can minimize it (

Reply to
Larry Blanchard