Roy Versus Norm?

Roy cracked me up today. He was making a chess set. Ah, I'd like to see this says I. He started out turning a traditional Stunton (?) type set. Doing it pretty well I though. Then he moved over to a borad already set up. And starts pulling out ches pieces he'd made.
Pawns were routers, the king was a floor drill press, queen a shop vac, table saw, power drill, nd something else, all power tools.
Then he starts pulling on replacements for the other side. These were all hand tools. Hammer, axe, hand saw, bit, and so on. Everything hand made.
Then he starts showing how they're made. For those of you worrying about your scrollsaws vibrading you shoulda seen Roy on his treadle saw, it vibrating or wobling like Hell. And his fingers looking like they had gangrene. He must show up at the emergency room oftener then Tim Taylor. LOL Good show. A video is available of the show for $14.95, but that's more than I want to pay, I'll just wait until it's on again and maybe record it. I always learn something watching Roy. Great entertainment too.
Makes me wonder what Norm could come up with.
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

So that others have the opportunity to see them, I'll post a few photos to ABPW in a few minutes.... one is the chess set and the others address the injuries. I'm not sure what Roy was trying to tell me, but he gave me that latter... ;~)
John
Roy is the Anti-Norm or vice versa. Roy is more devilish, so perhaps he is the Anti-Norm :)

I often wonder if Roy is any good but I do know he is blindly persistent.
Leon wrote:

His shows are often filmed in a single take. Talk about aerobic exercise! Consequently his work on-camera is typically rushed and we all know what happens when you get in a hurry in a shop.
I saw one show where he was working on a bird's-eye maple nightstand. THAT was a beautiful piece ans it was clear he was taking his time on it, no-doubt due to the expensive wood.
--

FF

Sun, Aug 6, 2006, 4:10pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I often wonder if Roy is any good but I do know he is blindly persistent.
Some of Roy's work is very good, just not always the work done on his show. However, I do not feel that "good" work is the point of his show; not that I think his work is bad, just rushed, and not taken on to a final finish.. Rather, I feel the main point of his show is to educate people as to how it used to be done, before electrical powertools came along. I think he does a good job of it too.
I like Roy. Like Norm. Don't like Bob.
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal
I agree with you I enjoy seeing and leaning how to use some of those older tools. I like seeing some of the tools I used to use in school wood shop years ago on his show. On that note any idea where some one could get plans to make a hand router? Thanks
Al
(Leon)

Sun, Aug 6, 2006, 10:57pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@askme.com (Allen) doth query: <snip> On that note any idea where some one could get plans to make a hand router?
Depends. Whatcha mean by "hand router"?
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Might be asking about a router plane.
Mon, Aug 7, 2006, 5:37am snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: Might be asking about a router plane.
Might be. On the other hand, might be something else entirely. So I'll wait for a description. Or, he can just google.
JOAT Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal
(Leon)

Don't like Bob.

DUHHHHHHH, Boob who??????!!!!!!Hehehe

J T wrote:

What no love for bob? he dose all sorts of cool .... Come to think of it, has he done anything on any of his shows id always Tom, Norm, etc I take it back Bob sucks

I used to think Roy was just a bodger, then I saw him hand cut some dovetails.... OK once
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org